Choosing the right boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyromedic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In hope I'm posting this in the correct Forum, it's a question about choosing boots. Here goes:

I own 13 acres of steep mountain land with plenty of trees and am building a home on it now. I will be doing all the "Forestry" work on the property and have already begun cutting brush, grape vines and felling some trees. Here's the issue. I am working in steel toed work boots (Safety Shoes) that are comfortable, light weight and water resistant. The problem is that, even with the tread on the sole, they don't have near the traction I need to climb up and down the steep slopes I traverse, especially now with all the leaves on the ground. Even in summer the ground is slippery enough with branches and loose soil to make moving up the slopes troublesome.

What I need is some boots that meet these requirements in order of importance:
1)Comfort & Light weight
2) Steel toe
3) excellent traction/grip on slippery slopes
4) Water resistance

I've seen some Forestry boots advertised that have steel cleats on the soles and wondered if they might be the answer. I suppose even hard rubber cleats like "golf shoes' have might be OK.
I prefer a 6 or 8 inch boot. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

In hope I'm posting this in the correct Forum, it's a question about choosing boots. Here goes:

I own 13 acres of steep mountain land with plenty of trees and am building a home on it now. I will be doing all the "Forestry" work on the property and have already begun cutting brush, grape vines and felling some trees. Here's the issue. I am working in steel toed work boots (Safety Shoes) that are comfortable, light weight and water resistant. The problem is that, even with the tread on the sole, they don't have near the traction I need to climb up and down the steep slopes I traverse, especially now with all the leaves on the ground. Even in summer the ground is slippery enough with branches and loose soil to make moving up the slopes troublesome.

What I need is some boots that meet these requirements in order of importance:
1)Comfort & Light weight
2) Steel toe
3) excellent traction/grip on slippery slopes
4) Water resistance

I've seen some Forestry boots advertised that have steel cleats on the soles and wondered if they might be the answer. I suppose even hard rubber cleats like "golf shoes' have might be OK.
I prefer a 6 or 8 inch boot. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

What is your budget? The boots you are referring to are "calks"; they get pricey. Those "cleats" help you walk up the timber itself as well as slope traction.

I have the Red Wing Logger boots and they hold fine on all the steepest slopes I work on. The only time I wear calks is in the winter when we have ice on the slopes.

D&B, thank you for the reply. I had hoped to spend around $150 or so. I think over $200 is out of my price range. I don't expect to be working on icy slopes, I'll just wait for better weather. It's not like I do this for a living, I only manage my own property. Given your reply, perhaps I don't need caulks but rather just good logging boots. I'll take a look at the Redwing Loggers.
In some other threads I also read that some people are using Georgia Boot and also Carolina. Any feedback on those would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Chipiwa Logger, but forget about light weight, a good boot for what you require will not be light weight. Check Watson Auta(on King st. By the fire house) in Boone if your close.

Check the Labonville website. They have their 8" chainsaw boots on sale for $150. Steel toe, waterproof, kevlar lined, good sole for traction on steep terrain, very good for what you are doing. I wear these, and they seem quite durable, comfortable, dry and warm, not to mention quite stable in uneven and rugged terrain. What you want in these conditions are a good heel and good ankle support. Its real easy to get hurt if your feet twist or go out from under you.

Chippewa 9" Waterproof Insulated Super Logger Black Oiled - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

In my opinion these are the best boots money can buy that aren't caulks..the vibram soles grip amazing. I own two pairs, they go for about $200 around here. They are 9" tall, made in america, high quality leather, waterproof. I love these boots with all my heart I wear them everyday whether its 110 degrees or -40. They are awesome. Carolina boots are cheap junk, Georgia boots aren't known to last very long. I am partial to my Chipps. Since the first pair of Chipps I ever worn back a long time ago, they are the only boots I really like. I bought a pair of carolina loggers because I was tight on money and they were $70...they were such junk! When you're in your boots during all wake hours, buy a high quality boot that will last you a long time. There are some jobs where boots are kinda disposable, like when you do pavement, because boots only last a few weeks, so that's the kinda work I see carolinas having a purpose. The carolinas leaked when walking on wet grass. Redwings are decent boots from what I've heard but they just aren't comfortable to me. Chippewa all the way!

I am a professional faller. Not the tree kind, but the falling down kind. If you are working a lot in the woods, you will fall down no matter what boots you are wearing. Our calks just give us extra traction for the wet and brushy conditions we work in out here.

Buy boots that are comfortable. That's real important. There shouldn't be a strict price limit if you plan to wear them a lot. You may need to go beyond what you are planning.

Then, and it sounds like you are maybe new to the woods, think about which way you are going to fall down and adjust your balance. On a steep slope, try to turn a fall so you'll fall into the hill, on your side or butt. Headers are hard on the body...I know this. If you are going to do a header straight down the hill, try to tuck up and turn it into a somersault. If you come out OK, be sure to make a humorous remark.

I don't think there is any boot that will provide perfect traction. Heck, calks will grip into a wet stick, but that stick will be resting on another wet slimy stick and you slip anyway.

Go for comfort. You may not want a steel toe. Instead, pay attention to where your feet are when running a saw.

Proper Falling Techniques to Prevent Injury - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Whites logger, they are rebuildable at Whites as long as you live. I have used them exclusivly for years, love the durability and comfort.

Safe sawing

I'd second the Whites boots if you're willing to put up the dough. There's a reason they're popular amongst USFS and other agencies as a sawyer boot.

But as far as what I tend to prefer, the last couple pairs I've bought are these:

83815 8-inch Boot - Irish Setter Work

8" Red Wing/Irish Setter work boots with 400 gram thinsulate. They break in fast, are comfortable all day long in the woods, have a steel toe, and keep my feet dry. I even wear them deer hunting and they keep my feet warm when immobile for hours.

Chippewa 9" Waterproof Insulated Super Logger Black Oiled - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

In my opinion these are the best boots money can buy that aren't caulks..the vibram soles grip amazing. I own two pairs, they go for about $200 around here. They are 9" tall, made in america, high quality leather, waterproof. I love these boots with all my heart I wear them everyday whether its 110 degrees or -40. They are awesome. Carolina boots are cheap junk, Georgia boots aren't known to last very long. I am partial to my Chipps. Since the first pair of Chipps I ever worn back a long time ago, they are the only boots I really like. I bought a pair of carolina loggers because I was tight on money and they were $70...they were such junk! When you're in your boots during all wake hours, buy a high quality boot that will last you a long time. There are some jobs where boots are kinda disposable, like when you do pavement, because boots only last a few weeks, so that's the kinda work I see carolinas having a purpose. The carolinas leaked when walking on wet grass. Redwings are decent boots from what I've heard but they just aren't comfortable to me. Chippewa all the way!

:agree2:

I have had Redwings but find the Chippewas to have a better price and quality close to the same. I require my work boots to be made in the US. I'm a tradesman and support US jobs though the products I buy.

First question would be whether you want a boot with a big heel or not. From there, it is a question of fit, comfort, and whether or not you want waterproof or steel toe or ????

Buy US made if you can, though.

The taller heel is more comfortable if you're hopping down off of equipment and stuff. I notice a difference from the chippewa loggers to the hoffman smoke chasers I have.

I have to agree that Chippewas are the most comfortable boot I have ever put on. I've had them for the last 8 yrs or so . I go thru 2 pair a year. Irish Setter/Redwing would be my 2nd choice not as comfortable but a good quality boot. Georgia boots are junk I bought one pr. they didn't last a full day of work worst $120 I ever spent.

Chippewa Logger, but forget about light weight, a good boot for what you require will not be light weight.

Agreed Harrison, I purchased the American made steel toe version some months ago for ~$200 ... mostly because they're available in EEE width and the local store had them in stock. Had an issue with quality (stitching came undone in the first couple hours of wear), fortunately the boots were replaced immediately. They're great boots although take awhile to break-in, have superior traction, excellent ankle support, and are well insulated for toasty feet in all weather conditions. They are far from light weight!

I've been wearing Carolina Loggers #CA8823,for a good many yrs and have good luck with them, I usually get a yr out of a pr.No steel toes, just insulated and waterproof, about $115.local. I've seen them cheaper, but after paying postage it's better to buy local. I've worked in swamps and water up to the laces and have yet to get wet feet. I do put mink oil on them

Last edited:
Chipiwa Logger, but forget about light weight, a good boot for what you require will not be light weight. Check Watson Auta(on King st. By the fire house) in Boone if your close.

I was set on Chippewa Logger boots back in the spring and went into Watsonatta to try some on. I ended up leaving with a pair of Double H loggers instead. For my feet they are way more comfortable for some reason. I tried the Chippewas first, then some Justin boots, then when I put on the Double H loggers, I knew immediately that they were the ones...

Sometimes you just gotta try stuff on to get what's best for you. I'm very happy with the comfort, toughness, and look of the Double H logger...wearing them as we speak actually and gave em a good workout the past couple of days cutting wood.

Pyromedic,

Where in NC are you? Sounds like you may be close to Boone?

I like the high heel for steep embankments. Without it you're always compensating for balance. These USA made Double H boots are a good buy.
attachment.php

Yep...those are the ones I've got too. Such a great boot that I expect to hold up for many years to come. Mine were a little less than $200 on sale if I remember correctly.

from my various boot buying experiences, work boots, hunting boots, etc, I have found that the sole is typically where manufacturers seem to skimp the most. Just be realistic that if you buy a $100 pair of boots that are comfortable, light, and get good traction, they aren't gonna last long. keep another pair with you for when you dont need those boots. I had one pair of shop boots that the soles literally disintegrated after contact with oil. I was loosing big chunks of rubber out of them. I had another pair that the glue holding the outer most layer of rubber on let go walking across a parking lot in Dubai in June. Ive had good luck out of redwings bought in the US, Ive got a pair of LaCrosse that are a bit odd because they have almost no heal to them, but I can't wear them out.

Latest posts

Back