christmas money! recomend me some good spurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my old klein spurs my father gave me have now retired to be pole gaffs. im looking at buying a new pair of tree spurs and am wondering what are some good sets under $250? btw i allready have stiff wrap pads.

I got kliens with the ultra stiff pads. I've used both the velcro and "caddy" pads and prefer these any day of the week.
spu301u-500.gif

What Dan said. With a good set of pads you will run 300-400. The comfort is all in the pads, the gaff and stirrup are more about weight, which is why so many go to aluminum. The titanium models are becoming more reasonably priced though, the benefit with them is that the crew holes do not round out if you let the screws loosen up.

Spend the money to get what you want. They'll last longer than any other piece of climbing gear you'll own. I have Buckingham titaniums with caddy pads and I like them. May partner is around 275lbs. and uses Kleins with Buckinham velcro cushion wraps and he likes them. I ran into a guy a few weeks ago who climbs on Climb Rights and he was raving about them. I think they start around $225. If you can try and borrow a set of whichever you're interested in and try them out. I'd rather go cheap on the spikes and buy good pads than the other way.
Phil

I'm in the same boat - Xmas money, junk climbers. I need something better than these old non adjustable pole spurs. They are properly sharpened and I set them correctly but some more bite would be nice.

I've been thinking ClimbRight or Kline with tree spurs.

I weigh 180lbs, 6' and am climbing mostly thin barked hardwood with the occasional cottonwood and pine. My poles don't cut it with ash and cotton in some situations.

I prefer low heals on my boots and wonder if Klines would put my heal way too far from the tree face and leave me balancing on my points most rather than sometimes.

I figure on using my super climber pads.

I do not need climbers so much that high end gear would make sense. Some more stability in the junk trees are the idea.

Climbers are a personal choice but I would like to hear some more thoughts and opinions.

I'm in the same boat - Xmas money, junk climbers. I need something better than these old non adjustable pole spurs. They are properly sharpened and I set them correctly but some more bite would be nice.

I've been thinking ClimbRight or Kline with tree spurs.

I weigh 180lbs, 6' and am climbing mostly thin barked hardwood with the occasional cottonwood and pine. My poles don't cut it with ash and cotton in some situations.

I prefer low heals on my boots and wonder if Klines would put my heal way too far from the tree face and leave me balancing on my points most rather than sometimes.

I figure on using my super climber pads.

I do not need climbers so much that high end gear would make sense. Some more stability in the junk trees are the idea.

Climbers are a personal choice but I would like to hear some more thoughts and opinions.

Allright, I have Buckingham 3" straight shank spurs with aluminum pads. I like tham more than Kliens, they stick better. Also, I wear double sole Viberg line man boots. I only climb with spurs, this combo is pretty common out here.

Allright, I have Buckingham 3" straight shank spurs with aluminum pads. I like tham more than Kliens, they stick better. Also, I wear double sole Viberg line man boots. I only climb with spurs, this combo is pretty common out here.

I used to use those but switch to curved gaff climbers and like them better. I always get confused what is a "pole' gaff and what is a " tree" gaff so I say staright or curved.
The blue steel Kliens are quite nice though bottom shelf, its what I use and I fell pretty happy about them. They are standard issue. I use good pads and keep them sharp and long.
I think you get better dexterity with curved gaffed climbers myself. The steel Kleins start around 300 and the more you spend the more luxurious the climber will be. Not nessacerly better but more luxurious I think.

I used to use those but switch to curved gaff climbers and like them better. I always get confused what is a "pole' gaff and what is a " tree" gaff so I say staright or curved.
The blue steel Kliens are quite nice though bottom shelf, its what I use and I fell pretty happy about them. They are standard issue. I use good pads and keep them sharp and long.
I think you get better dexterity with curved gaffed climbers myself. The steel Kleins start around 300 and the more you spend the more luxurious the climber will be. Not nessacerly better but more luxurious I think.

The Buckinghams work great all trees, specially on thick barked trees, the Kliens not as good, course the Bucks tear up thin bark. But I am just a utility hack so...

The Buckinghams work great all trees, specially on thick barked trees, the Kliens not as good, course the Bucks tear up thin bark. But I am just a utility hack so...

Well its not so much the spike holes you make... IT THE HORRIBLE CUTS!

No, but seriously everytime some CA starts pointing out the cuts on line clearance and turns to me looking for my dissaproval as well I tell him to go get a throwball and wing it at those wires himself. They really hate when I do that.
It happens a lot, the imflammatory remarks about how bad the trees are after the lines have been cleared, usually its when thier own guys have the tree truck jackknifed on the lawn and they are tripping over their own ropes.
I did notice when they cleared the line out back a few weeks ago they used a throwball and rope-climbed the trees. I helped them out a few years ago by bulldozing all the trees that were on my property under the wires. That couldn't have been very good for the trees.

Well its not so much the spike holes you make... IT THE HORRIBLE CUTS!

No, but seriously everytime some CA starts pointing out the cuts on line clearance and turns to me looking for my dissaproval as well I tell him to go get a throwball and wing it at those wires himself. They really hate when I do that.
It happens a lot, the imflammatory remarks about how bad the trees are after the lines have been cleared, usually its when thier own guys have the tree truck jackknifed on the lawn and they are tripping over their own ropes.
I did notice when they cleared the line out back a few weeks ago they used a throwball and rope-climbed the trees. I helped them out a few years ago by bulldozing all the trees that were on my property under the wires. That couldn't have been very good for the trees.

Funny, and thanks for the support.

How often are you using your hooks? For 250 you could buy a brand new 200ft hank of lava and a nice new Zubat. You'd use those every single day :clap:

What I was thinking, try putting a new set of hooks on the stirrups, and buy some high end pads for now.

Sound advice, that should tune up any set. Hell the pads ain't exaclty cheap but well worth it. So is swapping out the gaffs.

We used to drill the cranks in our bicycles to make them lighter... I was going to do that to my old Buckys... but I didn't.

Back