Cir Clips GRRRRRR

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was putting new rings in an 066 today. I removed the piston to clean it up. Installed rings and piston. Had cir clip just about ready to snap in and then BLINGGG. The little SOB went flying. Two hours later I still can't find the damn thing. I will admit I was a little shaky from my last nights activities. I guess I will be going the 40 mile round trip to the Stihl shop in the morning. I had cir clips for about any Sthil saw here except for an 066. Damn the bad luck. Happy frigging New Year.

Last edited:
I slide a gallon zip lock bag over the piston when installing circlips, it gives you enough room to work and will usually catch the circlip if it does the BLING thing

Had cir clip just about ready to snap in and then BLINGGG.

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: Here's a good tip from someone who has experience : before snapping the cir clip, turn of the radio in the shop and be dead quite....if it goes Blinggggg, you may hear the landing location... if you are lucky, LOLOLOL. :cheers: :sucks:

I was putting new rings in an 066 today. I removed the piston to clean it up. Installed rings and piston. Had cir clip just about ready to snap in and then BLINGGG. The little SOB went flying. Two hours later I still can't find the damn thing. I will admit I was a little shaky from my last nights activities. I guess I will be going the 40 mile round trip to the Stihl shop in the morning. I had cir clips for about any Sthil saw here except for an 066. Damn the bad luck. Happy frigging New Year.

Here is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to installing cir-clips

www.buxtools.com

I've been using them for awhile now and it is better then any of the other tools I have to do the same thing.

:cheers:

Are you 100% certain it didn't go down into the crankcase?

Many moons ago, I was overhauling my Sportster top end... 3/4 old clips pinged off into orbit... #4 took a dive into the crank abyss. It was a PIA to get it fished back out, but I was able to w/o splitting the cases.

ALWAYS stuff a rag, wadded up newspaper, or something etc...to keep the invaders out of the crankwell.

Good luck, or should I dare say, better luck next time ;)

Is the gap in the clip smaller than the bore in the wrist pin?
If so, shove a good sized phillips or torx screwdriver through the clip and wrist pin. Then when you lose the clip it will just rattle around on the screwdriver shaft.

Place circlip and cover all but the part that needs to be worked into place with thumb of left hand, [ size 14 left hand of mine ] push on raised side with small screwdriver to collapse circlip in to groove in the piston, if the circlip does not catch on first try it has never come out from under my thumb.I cup the piston with the fingers of my left hand and use my thumb to hold the circlip while maneuvering the circlip with my right hand and tool of choice. I have done a couple of hundred this way and not lost one yet.
Pioneerguy600

A small notch ground into the end or very bottom of one side of the screwdriver really helps.

Oh, I've lots plenty...:greenchainsaw:

I have this cheapo circlips instal/removal tool with the 2 small pins in line with the axis of the pivoting part of the pliers.

Well, if you think about it, when closing the circlips when you position it the holding angle / contact angle of the pins with the circlips changes almost provoking the circlips to jump off the pins.

Took my dremel and made 2 recesses in the pins. that holds them down till I decide they can release.

Might give it a try.

:cheers:

Earless clips have no reason to exist.

But you are right, i overlooked the fact.

put a bag over her head!

i hear the bag trick mentioned above works wonders.:)

the only 'bling' i have ever heard was the darned slide-stop spring on a polish p64 pistol. about as small as the circlip and much harder to replace!:dizzy:
fortunately i found it a week later..... in an envelope. gunsmith custom made a new one from stainless dentil wire!:)

I never did find it. I heard it hit the floor. I swept up the floor and dug through all the grease and sawdust with a magnet. Oh well maybe when I go to the dealer tomorrow to buy 15 of them,:) I can talk him out of a new calender.

The cir-clips off a Solo 655 I'm rebuilding have 2 ears. To remove, insert needle nose pliers, squeeze the ears together and remove. To install, do the reverse. Why don't all cir-clips have double ears? It's a cinch.

The cir-clips off a Solo 655 I'm rebuilding have 2 ears. To remove, insert needle nose pliers, squeeze the ears together and remove. To install, do the reverse. Why don't all cir-clips have double ears? It's a cinch.
I'll agree with you there, but then I probably wouldn't be getting one of them sleazy Stihl calenders I'm hoping to score tomorrow.:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Back