Cleaner Air

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you know of any upgrade for the air filter of a Jonsered 621?

Tired of finding fairly large amounts of fine dust and crap on the choke plate and the rest of the intake area. I don't imagine there is any after market stuff for a saw that old. But have any come up a home made improvement?

:deadhorse:

Spray some filter oil on it. It worked a treat on both my Dolmars. I know a few guys who have started using it on their Huskys too with good results. I haven't had any evidence of particles getting through the filter since. The filter does seem to get filthier quicker though :)

I bought some filtering material from a fellow here...it's a very fine micro-mesh, yellow in color. Can't remember who it was but I believe I have a large piece left.

I used it on my r/c nitro motors...but now there's many options.

If you have a place to cinch it around your assembly, I'll send you a piece. How big ya' gonna' need?

I bought some filtering material from a fellow here...it's a very fine micro-mesh, yellow in color. Can't remember who it was but I believe I have a large piece left.

I used it on my r/c nitro motors...but now there's many options.

If you have a place to cinch it around your assembly, I'll send you a piece. How big ya' gonna' need?

Thanks for your offer. The previous post about the filter oil sounded like that would work also. But I like dry filtering-easier cleaning etc. So if you could spare a piece I'd need about 2"X7" and I'll give it a try. What gets through the filter media is pretty small but can not be at all helpful to the internals. I think back in 80's Baileys had aftermarket filters for the 621 and others. But that was then and this now. I'll send you a PM with my address and again I appreciate the offer and responces.:cheers:

The previous post about the filter oil sounded like that would work also. But I like dry filtering-easier cleaning etc

The filter oil definately works but you're right, it makes cleaning in the field near impossible. I just bought 3 spare filters for both my 7900 and 5100-S and run a couple or more per day. I then soak them using washing powder in the evening and they come up like new.

What about a cloth pre-filter bag?

Ive got an old Stihl 045 and the air filter looks like it's made out of window screen. The holes in the mesh are at least a 32nd inch. Like cantdog I found a lot of dust in the intake. that can't be helpful. I thought about making a little cloth bag with a draw string to cinch over the filter. I've seen similar pre-filters on Harley-Davidson bikes with after market cone filters. They looked like a little flannel bag with an elastic band in the mouth, like a shower cap. About the weight of a Crown-Royal sack. Does any one have any thoughts on this. Will the carb have to be re-adjusted to account for the increased air resistance. I asked my dad about the coarse air filters on those old saws. He used to clear power lines and land survey in southeast Alaska in the late 70's to early 80's. He told me "that's just what they had back then". He said when Mt. St.Helens erupted and they went in for the cleanup that a saw would not last six hours. The ash dust was so abrasive and fine it would just polish away the rings, and that's when they came out with air filters with the "flocked" fuzzy coating. If a little pre-filter bag would actually work it would probably stop up fast, but you could have a handful in your pocket and swap it out every few hours. Then just throw then in the clothes washer when your wife is not looking.

Endust?

When I was carving/sawing stone in a backyard studio, I had to manage a huge quantity of stone dust. What I did was build a plywood plenum that held 4 20x20" cheapo furnace fillters, and use a squirrel cage fan to draw air out the window. Spraying Endust® on the filters and letting it dry before use made the filters much more effective. Now I do the same thing on my furnace/AC filter. Seems to work fine.

Whether this is applicable to chainsaws, well, perhaps.

I have a "flocked" filter for my 80/621's that I found on Ebay. It is a factory part, but I imagine it is pretty hard to find. I will get a picture next time I am out to the garage.

Edit: found the picture from the Ebay auction

!BMPf1,wB2k~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmYLs0BJjghuLMCw~~_1.JPG

Back