Cleaning Chains Prior to Using Bench Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Hopf

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I was on this Forum, where somebody posted a Thread complaining about dressing his Grinding Wheel all the time for his Bench Chain Grinder.
There was a lot of good advise here about keeping the Wheel from getting a lot of Oil, and Gunk on the Grinding Wheel.
One guy suggested soaking the Chains in Oven Cleaner, and washing them with Water after they had soaked for a while.
Well last night I gave it a try. I soaked my Chains in Oven Cleaner fro an hour, or two. I then washed them off with Hot Soapy Water, and Rinsed them off with Hot Water.
Before I sharpen my Chains, I dressed the Grinding Wheel, while the Chains where drying. Once the Chains where dry, I sharpen and Ground Down the Rakes, of 10, Chains, and there was absolutely No Oil or Gunk what So Ever on the Grinding Wheels of my Bench Chain Grinder.
After I was finished sharpening, I dipped my Chains in Bar Oil for a while so that they would not rust., and I hung them up over night.
I was so impressed that I thought I'd let who ever gave me this Idea know that I appreciate their advice, and who ever else contributed to giving their advise as well. Thanks. Bruce.

Back