Cleaning chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Oh yeah - and the hamster wouldn't cooperate, it kept making the chain move only in a forward direction all the while giving me the evil eye!

Bob for a smart man I can't believe you didn't even consider running the hamster drive through an old Holden gearbox to get reverse? Then you may even be able to utilise a few extra gears if Hamster is having a torquey but slow day.

Chipboard screws don't count sorry. Old roofing nails maybe but anything with a screw principal is far too technical...

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Bob for a smart man I can't believe you didn't even consider running the hamster drive through an old Holden gearbox to get reverse? Then you may even be able to utilise a few extra gears if Hamster is having a torquey but slow day.

I'll have to blindfold the hamster - he watches the way the cutters are moving.

Chipboard screws don't count sorry. Old roofing nails maybe but anything with a screw principal is far too technical...

Next time maybe a couple of rusty rail road ties ?

roncoinc

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser

The hampster preperation is the most important thing here..hampster must be thoroughly washed,cleaned and buffed before expected to perform at max efficiancy..so now Bob needs to do up a hampster cleaner .. also feed it wheaties and expresso for breakfast to help get the most out of it.

or let it lick itself clean and let a piece of wood clean the chain :)

BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Kero works but for some reason it's not as good as diesel on tuart sap.

For some reason, diesel seems to dissolve just about anything! :laugh:

I know of a case where someone bought a 55 gallon drum of diesel, and paid a midnight visit to the parking lot of a business that had made him angry. Left the drum laying on its side, plugs removed. They had to re-pave a big chunk of the parking lot.

Yeah, he got caught.

Nitroman

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Don't worry I've thought about it and even tried it!
  • Firstly the chain has to be on back wards or the cutters will eat the wire brush and bluntens the cutters.
  • The drill operates at a max of 500 rpm versus a minimum of around 3000 rpm which is about when the clutch engages on a CS - ie much safer, a 3000 rpm chain even going backwards will take more than skin off your knuckles
  • Because after a few days milling, mostly I end up with a bunch of chains - last thing I want to do is put them all back on the saw just to clean them.
  • Once the bar is set up on the jig its much faster to put chains on and off the jig than on and off the saw.
  • It's much quieter and there is no exhaust so living in an inner city neighbor hood means I can clean them at night in my shed.
  • On really gummed up oily chains I squirt the chain with a pump pack of degreaser / detergent. Unless the CS oil tank is empty, doing this on the CS kinds defeats the purpose of doing it.
  • Because the bar is set up vertically the dirty degreaser / detergent can then also drip off the end of the bar into a bucket under the bar. If I do this outside I can then even hose it off and then give the chain a squirt of CRC. Sharpen the chain off the saw. and then throw it back on the jig and re-oil it manually.

I knew it had to be on backwards when you touched it, but....wow.

I think you've got a great idea there. I just run more than usual bar oil to keep my chains from getting gummy, but I'm only cutting firewood and not making lumber and furniture wood.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
I'll have to blindfold the hamster - he watches the way the cutters are moving.

Yeah hamsters, can't trust 'em...

Next time maybe a couple of rusty rail road ties ?

They'll do. Thats full redneck spec :cheers:

The hampster preperation is the most important thing here..hampster must be thoroughly washed,cleaned and buffed before expected to perform at max efficiancy..so now Bob needs to do up a hampster cleaner .. also feed it wheaties and expresso for breakfast to help get the most out of it.

or let it lick itself clean and let a piece of wood clean the chain :)

Hah hah a buffed Hamster!

More so an expresso fuelled buff hamster!

Latest posts