Clearcoat over Stihl Grey Paint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use PPG Quik Clear on just about everything other than cheap enamel. It is a two part clear that works pretty good on cars and I have used it on an old Homelite XL12 with good results. Probably best to use a lacquer based paint for color coat. On my saw I used a Dupli-Color metallic blue and let it dry for a day or so then applied the Quik-Clear and it looked good...

Here's my arsenal:
Krylon Gloss Mandarin for Stihl orange, TSC's Ford light gray, VHT clearcoat, and DEI Hi-Temp flat black for mufflers. I just do rattle cans.
Edit: VHT Clearcoat requires baking at 450*+F to cure fully. It might not be a good choice for parts that cannot be heated that high.
Edit again: Just discovered that Heating at 250*F doesn't do the job. Will try Miniwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. Don't want to have to go to a two part clearcoat if I can help it.

Edit: VHT Clearcoat requires baking at 450*+F to cure fully. It might not be a good choice for parts that cannot be heated that high.
Edit again: Just discovered that Heating at 250*F doesn't do the job. Will try Miniwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. Don't want to have to go to a two part clearcoat if I can help it.

Well, the Miniwax Urethane ambered pretty badly, as urethane clearcoats are prone to do. Guess I'l have to learn to do the two-step. ;)

There’s a hair dye that cleans stained plastics on dirtbike gas tanks, then there’s a clear coat that’s gas proof. I’ll get the info.

There is a fella in Pittsburgh area that does an amazing job powder coating parts at a reasonable price, he goes by glock37 on the other site, not sure on here. He has done many saws for me, his husky and Stihl color matches are as perfect as they get.

Latest posts

Back