climbing palms - Washington robusto

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwatkins3678

Reaction score
Around here in the AZ desert, the common climbing method is using spurs/spikes to annually trim -- most of the landscaping crews of course butcher the heck out of them -- Old 2003ish posts point to the Swiss Tree hugger contraption or the Bicycle type of climber. But they range from 1800 - 2900 dollars! My ?'s to the experts here....
* will they work equally well on "skinned" vs. "rough/unskinned" palms?
* is there any place where one might pick up a used set?
* has anyone used hunting type climbing sticks on palms (like lone wolf or muddy rivers) -- and again, on skinned or unskinned palms?

There's also quite a debate among palm tree-trimmers here whether or not they actually damage the palm but that's another story....
Thanks -- Ron

Listen, if you are on a production crew, deal with it or go to a company that sells proper tree care. We do not spike palms.
If you do it right and submit a proposal with two bid's, 1- with spikes; 2-no spikes, give them the option A or B. Works everytime.
Early on you find that a rope over the head of a palm does damage to live tissue which affects health. All that friction, or maybe spend time rigging a friction saver. I tell you what I do. Get a Big Shot and place a climb line over the head and anchor the end to the base. Then you SRT up to the head and work your way down. Now if your boy's don.t get it, then move.
Jeff

a climbing tree stand works awesome, i just double wrap my flipline around the trunk and goto work, climb to the top, trim dead fonds and then return to the ground, the tree is not damaged at all by climbing spurs or rigging lines and if the tree is 30' or less can be trimmed in about a half hour

right on jeff

in the original post the gentleman was asking about other options, i don't beleive that he will be doing thousands a year but it was just an option that i use and have success with, and i don't do thousands a year either but a hundred or so yes, you must have a huge outfit of hard workers!!!!

in the original post the gentleman was asking about other options, i don't beleive that he will be doing thousands a year but it was just an option that i use and have success with, and i don't do thousands a year either but a hundred or so yes, you must have a huge outfit of hard workers!!!!

Even for 1 palm, that would not be an option. BTW, I am just an employee.
Jeff ;)

Latest posts

Back