Climbing saddles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am a beginning tree climber and I need to buy a saddle. Looking at the Vermeer catalog, it looks like two types of saddle are most popular: the "Master II" by Sherrill and the "Versatile", also by Sherrill. I would like some opinions on the the "Master II" vs. the "Versatile." Or, more generally, whether I want a saddle that includes a seat in addition to leg straps. It appears that one of the primary differences between the Master II and the Versatile is that the Master II uses leg straps only, while the Versatile has leg straps plus a seat. I have used the Master II and I found it to be not very comfortable, but comfort is a relative term, and I have nothing to compare it to. I do not have access to the Versatile on a trial basis. In addition to comfort I am interested in functionality. Being a complete novice, I can't even ask an intelligent question on this issue. I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Steven

Hi Steven and welcome to Arboristsite.
The discussion about which saddle to buy comes up fairly
often. You can start by reading the previous threads, plenty
of info (opinions) there.
Click on "Search" on the top right of this page.
Type "Saddle" in the "Search by keyword" box.
Click on "Search titles only" a little further down and then
the "Perform search" button.
This should give you about 25 hits.
As you will see the Butterfly harness from Komet has some
hardcore fans, I'm one of them.

Also, have you got the "Tree climber's companion" ?
You can buy it from Sherrill, click on the sponsor logo.
( beat you to it Tom D ;) )

Hillbilly,
Thanks for the promo. I think the AMT banner displays during thread views, so in you need it, Steven, our website link is http://store.wtsherrill.com

The Master II and Versatile are both good saddles, and you're sure to find positive reviews in both camps. As far as the Butterfly goes, it is a popular saddle, but does not meet US standards, so we will not sell it. I encourage you to gather the feedback you're seeking here, and when you've gotten what you need from that, please don't hesitate to contact us for further information. 1-800-525-8873. Thanks.

-Sean

NebClimber-
That advice that RockyJSquirrell just gave is good. That is, if all the things he assumed about you is true.
If not, I would put some thought in to which type of saddle you get. If you've got the cash, I'd buy a few, and hang in each one for a while (don't get them dirty) then send back the one's you don't like.
I use the Master II and don't have major complaints. The "boys" get squished every now and then. Other than that, no probs. I like it's many attachment points...eleven if I counted right. That's quite a few!

Ask some more specific questions and we might be of more assistance.

love
nick

Don't over look the Pinnacle from buckingham. mine is pretty worn so i have a butterfly on order, if i don't like it i'll be ordering another pinnacle. you do not need the spreader strap with it. i just clip into both rings.

i just don't understand why sherrill doesn't stock it with the bigger D rings. if your interested send me a pm and i'll tell you where to order it with the big D rings.

Can't sherrill make you one with the large d's? I personally like the small ones. But then again, I'm also looking for a tiny locking carabiner.

love
nick

they can but its a custom order and their site says nothing about it. i sarted a thread about it a while ago and nothing changed.
when i decide to order something i want it NOW. what can i say? i like instant gratification when i decide to buy. i would much rather order online than have to talk to a person.

I have the large D's on my master II. GREAT saddle for the smaller guys, but Ialso have a brand new one thats a backup that has the small offset D-rings. Gonna go with the Flybutter
next though, I think I'm missing out on something good.:(

Tom,
I doubt a flame war will culminate. I am merely passing along information that was handed DOWN to me. I think the debates and rulings at this weekendss competition will be big, heavy and heated. At least, that is what I am hearing people predicting. Don't think it's not tough passing on a saddle that is popular, has a demand, and we could easily become a distributor for. This is a decision that I'm sure was labored over for some time...

As far as large vs small D-rings....All I can really say is sorry. We try our best to please everyone, but you know how the saying goes. We can not stock the same saddle, with two different D-ring configurations, so we have to go with the one that we have the biggest demand for. It is true that our website does not mention or make available the custom order large D-rings, but only because the process is just that, custom, and really needs to be done one-on-one with a sales person.

On a final note, who could blame someone for wanting instant gratification? I don't. If you absolultely need to have that saddle, and can get it right away, there's nothing wrong with that. I just hope that supplier you use puts some of that sale towards sponsoring the arborist organizations, websites, magazines, training and safety seminars/classes...etc.. :angel: :cool:

-Sean

sean
am i reading your post correctly? buckingham won't allow you to stock both options in their product.

KF,
Buckingham is not in the equation. We "can not" stock both, because it would be a slap in the face of good judgement. To add the extra variation, would require us to add 16 skus (4 sizes of the 4 models), take up warehouse space, and place a minumum order. This wouldn't be a big deal if we could justify it, but we can't.

I know that you prefer the large D-rings, as do some others here that I've run through this with before, so it must be hard to imagine "why anyone would want small D's", but the fact remains, though, that the large D-ringed saddles are outsold by the small at a very high rate. That is why we can't justify carrying both versions.

Knowing that we do and will have customers that prefer the large D's, we have custom ordering available, but as previously discussed, you want it now, NOW, NOW!!!! :D

-Sean

Ok guys. Tell me if this is right ( Warning: I am about to make some assumptions and then extrapolate a bit from what I've been reading on this site about saddles): In the beginning there were saddles that just had a butt seat. This wasn't too uncomfortable, but now and again someone would slip through the seat. Then came the leg straps, which prevented the climber from slipping out of the butt strap. But leg straps alone can be very uncomfortable b/c they slide up and into the climber's crotch. On the other hand, the leg straps alone offer greater movement in the tree. And some guys find the leg straps alone to be tolerable - even comfortable - once you learn to keep the straps low enough on your legs. Others disagree, and think leg straps alone simply can't be made comfortable. Now we have saddles with both butt seats and leg straps. Comfortable, but a little restrictive. Then we have the Komet Butterfly. No one has explained how this one is configured, but apparently it is very comfortable and mobile. Alas, it does not meet U.S. safety standards (and may not have a U.S. distributer?). Summary sound about right?

Back to the point, I am a rookie climber. I want to climb using the "KISS" method (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). I don’t' want to spend a ton of money. My local Vermeer dealer has the The Master II in stock. I think I'll just go buy it. How's that sound?

Originally posted by NebClimber
Then we have the Komet Butterfly. No one has explained how this one is configured, but apparently it is very comfortable and mobile. Alas, it does not meet U.S. safety standards (and may not have a U.S. distributer?).

1. It has legs straps. Comfortable, easy to adjust.

2. It has not been submitted for US test. However, it is CE approved and TUV approved.

3.US distributer?? www.frescoarborist.com

Latest posts

Back