Climbing spikes......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if there is a way to make a set of climbing spikes. The cheapest ones I have seen are well over 200.00, and there doesnt seem to be much to them. I flailed my way up a viny slippery Tree of Paradise the other day and it was a MAJOR PITA getting up it because I had no traction. Any ideas on some kind of climbing aid?

If your worried about $200+ for a pair of spurs then your not going to spend $600 for Arbormaster Trainings' basic climbing skills course.

Stay on the chainsaw forum where you belong teachermam, you will live longer there LOL.

Willard

Last edited:
I use a 150' length of string trimmer line and a 1 lb. dumbbell....I am surprised at how accurate I am with it. (any giants around that need slayed?:) ) Strimmer line is tough with very little friction, just hard to knot.

I have an old recurve bow I am thinking of setting up for this, like a bowfish rig.

I used to climb trees for fun, but now I never climb with out a rope and a way to strap myself directly to the tree. I use rock climbing gear, because that is what I have. Vines suck, and rocks don't sway in the wind!

Recurve? LOLOL you need a BIG SHOT....

Using a dumbbell? He will need a mortar!

Sheesh! I leave for five days and you guys got me looking like more of a goof than I actually am.. (which is an accomplishment):)

Okay. The 1 lb. dumbbell is my throw weight. It works well with a loop about a foot in from the weight. and it slings right on up there.

My bow is a 45# recurve, and a decently heavy arrow oughta carry the strimmer line pretty well, or I could use sum bowfishing line or whatever. I know some tree guys use this method.

No, I would not use a bow to launch a 1 lb. dumbbell.

Okay, are there any shoes that have particularly good traction on tree bark without harming it? I could borrow a buddy's old golf shoes... JUST KIDDING!!:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back