Climbing with spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa_jim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'd like to expand my climbing techniques to include spiking up a tree, but there's one nagging question. How hard do those climbers press outward, below the knee?

I don't do well with a lot of side pressure at the knee, hence the question.

I'd like to expand my climbing techniques to include spiking up a tree, but there's one nagging question. How hard do those climbers press outward, below the knee?

I don't do well with a lot of side pressure at the knee, hence the question.
Never had knee problems but they do wear into the sides of the calf muscles. Stay up there long enough, don't take them off, you'll hate putting them back on after lunch.

Never had knee problems but they do wear into the sides of the calf muscles. Stay up there long enough, don't take them off, you'll hate putting them back on after lunch.

And you will eventually spike yourself when walking around not climbing with the spikes (gaffs) still on. I made some spike guards that slips over the spikes when walking around to reduce chance of spiking my ankles.

I have three sets of climbers, type with replaceable gaffs, two with tree spikes and other for power poles. One of the tree spike (gaff) set is aluminum frame that I used when deer hunting and carrying on backpack. (less weight)

Climbing with spikes is not for Nancy's.

Back