Closed System?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guiness1976

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm trying to choose my outdoor boiler (how many times have you read this?). I've searched the archives, and I'm trying not to be redundant. I like the Aqua Therm unsheltered 275. The closed system seems to make sense. Less corrosion, no heat exchange plate to connect to oil boiler, less water to heat up. Does anyone have first hand experience with a closed system? I find it hard to believe some of the stories/rumors? My neighbor is very happy with his CB. He just bought his second in 10 years. He has had 3 leaks over the years, got them welded, but replaced it after the third. I have to stress that he recomends the CB, but I don't like the corrosion issue. Maybe the 409 stainless and closed system would prevent holes. On the warranty from CB, the factory said to send it back, and they will assess/ repair the leak. Not a viable option. I also like the auger on the Aqua Therm, as opposed to shovel system. Any thoughts?

Most all OWB are Open. A closed system would work better but have more problems. For a inside boiler I would go with a closed system but with a owb a open system makes sence. Now you could make a closed system that would work but a larger unit would cost more to make it closed.

Did that make any sence??:confused:

Also why was sending the leaking boiler back to CB not a viable option? CB should have coverd that. They have the $$$.:censored:

Cracking under pressure!

:cheers: Where is your excess water going if it overheats and dumps out of the relief valve? Some have a provision for adding a "dump zone" if that happens; similar to a coolant recovery bottle on a car/truck. Me, I chose an OWB because I have no room for the storage tank that is a necessary evil with a small gasification boiler, and some insurance companies frown on ANY wood fired equipment inside of a home. An OWB/open system should last a long time IF you follow the mfr's. water treatment plan to the letter, and use the approved chemicals they specify. These treatments contain corrosion inhibitors, and other chemicals to raise the PH of the water, make it less acidic and corrosive to the steel since it is open to the atmosphere. This does not happen in a closed system, where the oxygen in the water is essentialy removed....try posting this one in the Boiler Room over at **********. Lotsa smart people over there.

It seems that a lot of people don't like closed systems due to the fact that they can explode if not properly maintained or kept an eye on. My indoor boiler is a closed system and has never caused a problem. Just make sure your pressure relief valve is always working... I trip my every so often just to make sure it isn't stuck. The open system is simpler..yes, but requires checking the water level and adding water yourself when needed. If you are going to tie into an existing boiler that is pressurized, it might make sense to get a closed system boiler, but it depends on your preferences. Any other questions just ask. Hope this answered some of your questions.

Back