Clothing for cold weather work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lspmmp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this question. If it's not, I apologize and maybe the moderator can move it to the right spot.
This year I decided to do all my firewood cutting in the winter since I have more time on my hands with nothing to do and I am really tired of spending my summers hauling firewood rather than hauling in fish.
I have ten acres of solid woods, and many, many of the Birch are dying, so I thought I would get them cut and split before they rot. I went out today for the first time this winter to make try at it. I dressed in my blaze orange snowmobile suit (used for cold weather hunting), flannel shirt, jeans and chaps. Of course I also had my loggers helmet on as well. Temperature was about 20 degrees Fahrenheit and about a foot of snow on the ground.
I was eager to try out my brand new Stihl 361 (more on that beauty in a later post), but by the time I had finished cutting up my first tree, about 18 inch dbh and 35-40 feet tall, I was really overheating. I finished two more trees, but was soaked with sweat by the time I had finished.

I am in Northern Minnesota, and it gets a bit cold here at times, so I thought the clothing I was wearing would be just right. Wrong. Way too warm.
Does anyone have any suggestions for warm clothing when the temps are in the 0 degree to 25 degree range?

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this question is in the wrong place.

Larry

Last edited:
I wear winter bucking pants and about 3 or 4 light layers that can be stripped off as needed.you really can get warm if you dress like you would doing anything else.

Fleece n poly pro long underware.Thats the ticket.I was a commercial fisherman for 23 yrs,20-35hr days were the norm for yrs,then it got civilized and mostly 18hr days.With shifts like that cotton is what you wear around the galley table or the trip back to town.Cotton is cold when wet,doesnt really wick sweat away.I still wear alot of wool pants over my poly pro underware,good wool pants are still fairly tuff,but if its say < 20 degs,its fleece over poly pro,and a pair of zip up carhart snow pants.For tops,its poly pro,a hooded fleece zip up,hickory shirt and a fleece vest.If its a stand around job,Ive got a great insulated army surplus coat,looks like NATO issue to me.If I have to clear a lot,then I strip down to the fleece and throw on the chaps.Chaps are very warm,and take all the brush n slash in stride.If your runnin through the woods,your gonna sweat,cant keep from getting wet,but you can keep your wet warm.Last winter I was clearing a 4000' x60 right of way,it was rather chipper
-17 below,so your definitely keepin moving.My achilles is my hands/feet,(thank god the 575 had a bar warmer,still took about 1/2 to warm up!).Im constantly trying new glove setups,favs so far are Refrigiwear insulated leathers with poly pro liners,mulitple pairs so you can swap out the wet ones.
I carry a big bag of gear every day in the crew truck,all the young guys roll there eyes when they see it,but then Im the only one with a smile on my face when its 10 degs and blowin NW 25 and Im standin around with a ice cold grade rod in my hand or open cab D5.
Hope this helps some
ak4195

for that kind of weather my chainsaw chaps keep my lower half plenty warm when coupled with polypro long underwear and a mid-weight fleece or wool pant. For the upper half I layer a polypro long-sleeve undershirt, polyester fleece sweatshirt, and wool vest. If I were standing still in temps below 20f I'd want more on. As mentioned above its all about layering. I definitely stay away from cotton (which doesn't insulate when wet) and stick with polypro, polyester fleece, and good old fashioned wool.

I wear Carhartt synthetic long underwear tops and bottoms, unlined overalls, pull over fleece, gloves and chaps and gloves. Yeah I went whole hog this winter and bought super heavy weight winter clothes and after 20 minutes of work I was sweating and found just enough clothing to keep out a chill worked the best.

Fleece Layers...Woolie pants

I second the layers of fleece and polypro undies. I worked up nort in your neighboring state. I couldn't wear a coat if I was moving...walked around gloveless in -20 (I have to take gloves off to keep a decent temp.)but I've got good circulation I guess. For boots, I wore a pair with thinsulite insulation, as long as I moved, my feet stayed toasty. I start out in the cold bundled up in layers and shed or add as needed. Those fleece neck gaitor things are nice too. Heavy wool pants over fleece long undies is good. A poly pro long undie top, with a micro fleece over it, and then a heavier fleece if necessary is good too. And then carry a shell in case you have to stop. I just wore/wear a fleece headband over my ears and a hardhat went over it well. You can buy the liners. I have since moved back to our horrible climate here but still swear by fleece. Just purchased a lightweight windproof fleece that I'll be testing this week. Now, on colors, I suggest a teal top, with pastel pants.....:)

Now I can't say much for below zero temps. as I can count on one hand how many days we have those around here. But for working in the 0 to 25 deg. range I usually wear ins. carhart bibs and reg. steel toe boots with wool socks. Of course I haven't ponyed up for the chaps yet,might make things a bit too warm once I'm wearing chaps. The upper body is more important as far as layers...... make sure you have at least three layers for adjustment with a base layer of poly thermal for wicking. I usually start out with a stocking style hat and switch to a plain baseball cap if I get too warm....you can regulate alot of over temp. by taking a hat off.....As for gloves I use plain old ins. leather work gloves at TSC and the like.....usually keep two pair or so on hand as they get wet. No use being uncomfortable. The refrigiwear is a good product,I used it alot when in industrial freezer conditions -10 or more....

I second the layers of fleece and polypro undies. I worked up nort in your neighboring state. I couldn't wear a coat if I was moving...walked around gloveless in -20 (I have to take gloves off to keep a decent temp.)but I've got good circulation I guess. For boots, I wore a pair with thinsulite insulation, as long as I moved, my feet stayed toasty. I start out in the cold bundled up in layers and shed or add as needed. Those fleece neck gaitor things are nice too. Heavy wool pants over fleece long undies is good. A poly pro long undie top, with a micro fleece over it, and then a heavier fleece if necessary is good too. And then carry a shell in case you have to stop. I just wore/wear a fleece headband over my ears and a hardhat went over it well. You can buy the liners. I have since moved back to our horrible climate here but still swear by fleece. Just purchased a lightweight windproof fleece that I'll be testing this week. Now, on colors, I suggest a teal top, with pastel pants.....:)

P? An entire fashion post and no mention of duck tape? You feelin OK?

If you are warm when your standing still it will be way to much when you start working. I try to dress so that I'll be a little bit cold when I'm taking a break, refueling/filing or eating lunch.

Actually working with saw for above the "donut" temps...a pair of jeans and a long sleeve tee shirt. Over this a pair of uninsulated overalls...long zipper in front to let heat out if needed. Lite gloves and chaps. Like the chaps for kneeling in the snow. Hard hat as needed. I have a liner, but find it too warm most times. Hate snow down the neck and back, so I should hook up some kind of lite flap that attaches to the back of the hat, but I've been saying this for 30 yrs now...

For twitching with the tractor, I have heavy jacket, gloves and heavy hat if needed. Usually take a couple min. break before donning the heavy stuff to cool off some.

Footwear....the orange safety boots with screws in the soles and heels.

Below the "donut", add lite longjohns, a zippered sweat shirt, and a lap dance...no, no, no, excuse me...:monkey: old mind that wanders....I meant to say, lab blanket, (small tarp), for driving tractor.

If you are warm when your standing still it will be way to much when you start working. I try to dress so that I'll be a little bit cold when I'm taking a break, refueling/filing or eating lunch.

+1

20 degrees I can still dress pretty light if I keep moving, if it gets colder you can break the heavy stuff out again

I second the layers of fleece and polypro undies. I worked up nort in your neighboring state. I couldn't wear a coat if I was moving...walked around gloveless in -20 (I have to take gloves off to keep a decent temp.)but I've got good circulation I guess. ...:) [/COLOR]

Alot of it is the individual. Some folks just can't take the cold, some it doesn't bother too bad.

I'm the same way with gloves and my hands will sweat if I'm doing anything but sitting on the ice or in the deer stand.

Did have fun with a bud from the city. Took him ice fishing for the first time a few years ago. He said where's your minnow net? I said "what net?" and stuck my bare hand in the minnow bucket and grabbed one.

I thought he was going to get ill or something. Oh my gosh, how can you do that? I didn't think it was a big deal:confused:

Cabela's hooks me up.amazing how far clothes have come.

i remember as a kid being soaked and freezing with 40 pounds of nylon and polyester.

glad those days are over.Carhartt makes great stuff. i believe GoreTex is worth every friggin' penny.

dressing in layers is key.

Virgin Polyester

for working in the 0 to 25 deg. range I usually wear ins. carhart bibs and reg. steel toe boots with wool socks. Of course I haven't ponyed up for the chaps yet,might make things a bit too warm once I'm wearing chaps. The upper body is more important as far as layers...... make sure you have at least three layers for adjustment with a base layer of poly thermal for wicking. I usually start out with a stocking style hat and switch to a plain baseball cap if I get too warm....you can regulate alot of over temp. by taking a hat off.....As for gloves I use plain old ins. leather work gloves at TSC and the like.....usually keep two pair or so on hand as they get wet. No use being uncomfortable.

Fleece n poly pro long underware.Thats the ticket.I was a commercial fisherman for 23 yrs,20-35hr days were the norm for yrs,then it got civilized and mostly 18hr days.With shifts like that cotton is what you wear around the galley table or the trip back to town.Cotton is cold when wet,doesnt really wick sweat away.I still wear alot of wool pants over my poly pro underware,good wool pants are still fairly tuff,but if its say < 20 degs,its fleece over poly pro,and a pair of zip up carhart snow pants.For tops,its poly pro,a hooded fleece zip up,hickory shirt and a fleece vest.If its a stand around job,Ive got a great insulated army surplus coat,looks like NATO issue to me.If I have to clear a lot,then I strip down to the fleece and throw on the chaps.Chaps are very warm,and take all the brush n slash in stride.If your runnin through the woods,your gonna sweat,cant keep from getting wet,but you can keep your wet warm.Last winter I was clearing a 4000' x60 right of way,it was rather chipper
-17 below,so your definitely keepin moving.My achilles is my hands/feet,(thank god the 575 had a bar warmer,still took about 1/2 to warm up!).Im constantly trying new glove setups,favs so far are Refrigiwear insulated leathers with poly pro liners,mulitple pairs so you can swap out the wet ones.
I carry a big bag of gear every day in the crew truck,all the young guys roll there eyes when they see it,but then Im the only one with a smile on my face when its 10 degs and blowin NW 25 and Im standin around with a ice cold grade rod in my hand or open cab D5.
Hope this helps some ak4195

Alot of it is the individual. Some folks just can't take the cold, some it doesn't bother too bad.:

+1 All true.
It's what is taught for cold weather stuff: NO cotton. Virgin polyester=fleece, or wool. Work means sweat and wet. Trees here will dump a snow load down your neck :censored: . And, use the chaps, full helmet system, steel toe boots.
Check out winter gear in outdoor and climbing shops for light weight, "dry when wet" underwear, Gore Tex breathable yet waterproof gear. It works.
It took years after Korea for Pentagon geeks to research and issue cold weather gear that had been around for years for climbers. Anyone have the honor :spam: to experience Camp Drum ? :chainsaw:

Street clothes+PPE, 20F you dont need insulation for cutting firewood. Carhart pants, tshirt, pullover windbreaker, really you have alot to do so dont be standing around getting cold. :givebeer:

Well, if you were to duct tape between your hat and collar, no snow would be going down....Seriously, a full brim hardhat and turtleneck helps with the snow going down neck and back thing. There's lots of zippy turtleneck poly tops out there. Oh, the Wisconsinites like to wear a pair of light weight gloves with leather "choppers" (mittens) over the gloves. Out here, I like to wear the insulated rubbery gloves. I carry several pairs cuz they still get wet.
To dry them, I put them over the boot dryer tubes. I haven't had to patch them with purple duct tape ....yet. :)

Thank you

Thanks very much for all the advice. I was just out splitting some of what I dropped yesterday and even dressed in jeans, flannel shirt and knitted hat, I am still sweating like crazy. Temp currently 19 degrees F.
By the way, have you ever seen curly Birch? This stuff was really tough to split, even frozen, and it had some sort of curly grain to it. Never seen it before.
I live in a small town so some stuff can be hard to find locally, but we do have a Fleet store that sells Carhartt. I think I will pick up a light jacket and overalls and dress lightly underneath. I don't plan on doing too much when the temps are below zero, so this setup should work just fine.
Thanks again. This site is the best!
Larry

Latest posts

Back