Clutch and Sprocket help for sourced motors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnarfan

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I'm finally starting to get some of these saw mods and repairs. I don't have the equipment to do half of them but i try with whats around. Anyways.. I'm pretty much self taught from this site and have had some pointers from local motor guys. In sourcing two stroke motors for use for converting to a saw are there any tried and true matchups being used for adding the clutch and sprocket onto one of these motors. I'm looking at going after some snowmobile motors, bikes carts etc but am tempted to frig around with this little old Kohler I have. Some of those motors have a shaft/key setup and are designed to drive a pulley..... So if someone is cool enough to give me the how I get from Point A to Point B or could recommend some shops/suppliers that would be helpful.

Basically what is going on here is that I had to sell my 111s with some other things to pay off wedding rings and help get started towards my wifes time off with the baby.

In searching around to console myself I ran into ozfleas copperhead 820 and was directed back to all things australian and mac-ish in the archives.

Another question... are people just going direct drive on these things for the most part and putting clutches only when the shaft matches up decent. I have seen some guys write about milling the shafts.. so the whole point of this thread is to clear that all up for me.

It's basicly "to each his own".
I have a friend that built a kx125, he milled the crank to accept a clutch off an 088 and it works great.
Romeo built me a kx250, and it is direct drive and it works great.
I don't know if a clutch for a saw would hold up to the 250, but I really doubt it.
Put the Kohler on a log splitter (where it belongs), and get yourself a bike engine. Romeo would be the one to ask about how he puts the sprocket on, but I'm smart enough to know to stay away from Kohler's, and old snowmobile engines if you want to have a chance at winning.

Andy

sounds about right. i'm always interested in what sort of feedback i can get. maybe that kohler will drive some little doohicky in the yard... its a little one too so thats why i started thinking unconventionally. running a hydraulic of sorts just might be the way to go.

so are folks yanking the cranks out and getting the shaft on the lathe?

I just had to write that when it came to me.

I don't like machining the crank. I did that for my first one and it did ok, but that was some hard :censored: to machine. The way I have been doing the bike engines is to cut an inset on the sprocket, machine the outside OEM primary gear, then weld them together. If I need to make more sprockets I hit the bay for more primary gears.

And use the Kohler to make a go cart for your kids, It just doesn't have the power or the R's.

Last edited:
I think possibley if a guy were real crafty that a Comet or Horstman or Barco Kart clutch could be adapted.Just a thought,I've never had the occasion to find out myself .

What a guy really needs is a junkyard with about a 1000 tons of old parts and all kinds of time to tinker.Most of the times it's just a semi educated guess as are my rants on something I've never done.This happens to be one of those so take the info with a grain of salt.Might work,might not.

Basically what is going on here is that I had to sell my 111s with some other things to pay off wedding rings and help get started towards my wifes time off with the baby.........................

You sold the 111s I sold you ?

Bill

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really didn't want to. my work hours were cut in half and we had rings to pay off. i was seriously debating which i loved more.. her and the baby on the way or the saw.

however i was able to recover and slab up some spalted maple with the new filed husky mount oregon bar i put on it. i put a bar with a 42" cut on it. the oiler matched up great.

selling the saw has given me some more license as to what i can bring home though... and theres been some seriously large pieces coming home.

oh.. bill. pm me and i'll send you some contact info. i've got a guy thats into older large saws that don't have to be running.. he wants to setup a museum.

Latest posts

Back