Clutch Removal - Near Miss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flat stock.... I lied, realized it's actually UHMW.... I'm sure nylon would work same

The use of a punch/chisel pretty much mimics the use of an impact wrench, what is wrong with telling folks how to do it correctly????

Impact using the engine compression...I'm probably into the hundreds removed now and nary a problem.
Me too. I think most of those that have a problem with an impact gun are also using some kind of piston stop at the same time. IMHO you CANNOT mix these two methods.

Impact using the engine compression...I'm probably into the hundreds removed now and nary a problem.

I agree. What argument is there against using impact? A saw only endures a dramatic explosion every revolution of it's running life.

I use the smallest and cheapest impact I could buy at Canadian Tire. 3.5 amp electric cost about $35 which included some impact sockets and a case. I can always find some place to plug it in when working on saws. It works beautifully. I`ll never go back to rope.

I use a Dewalt 12 volt lithium ion impact driver. It's variable speed, so it's not required to go full power. Also, according to my father who is a truck mechanic, slack and mass impede the effectiveness of the impact action so I use regular ( lighter) sockets and tack weld them to the driver adapter.

I think most of those that have a problem with an impact gun are also using some kind of piston stop at the same time. IMHO you CANNOT mix these two methods.
I agree. What argument is there against using impact?

I have heard of guys shearing the key off of the flywheel when removing a clutch.

Is this from holding the flywheel while wrenching on the clutch, or is this also possible to do with an impact wrench?

Philbert

at just before TDC the conrod will be taking more force due to leverage, but that extra force is running laterally up the rod, so no problem, but apply that same force at a shallower angle and it's a whole different story, bendy bendy, a conrod that's shaped and streamlined smooth made from best quality steel ain't gonna bend on ya like the cheesy stamped rods on the budget stuff, the piston cracks like an eggshell first, but it's mostly gorillas wielding 6-foot breaker-bars levering 75,000 tons of torque the wrong way doing all the damage

and all you need is the two dollar Stihl plastic thingy for easy clutch removal every time, or else six inches of starter cord does it just as light and easy. And if the Stihl dealers aren't giving their buying customers 3 free files, a stihl scrench, a small orange-handled tuning screwdriver, a file holder, a file handle, a spare NGK or Bosch sparkplug, torx keys including the smaller size, a set of Stihl stickers, a Stihl calender of strippers, a free coil of nylon for your weed-eater, a complimentary set of key-holders and a litre of 2-stroke synthetic, then they're just rippin' ya off

I have heard of guys shearing the key off of the flywheel when removing a clutch.

Is this from holding the flywheel while wrenching on the clutch, or is this also possible to do with an impact wrench?

Philbert

Philbert,
I don't remember reading about shearing keys. I can see it happening if you tried to constrain the flywheel when removing the clutch bolt. However, if this is the case you're probably damaging the flywheel at the same time. It sounds rough on the saw on that end of the crank.

When the impact is used the flywheel, key and crank are allowed to move as one unit. I don't see how enough force could be generated to shear the key when you try to remove the clutch nut.

I have the piston stop that came in my ring compressor kit. I have never been able to get it to work right. Perhaps it only works on Stihls. I used to use a piece of bungee cord through the spark plug hole until I bought an impact.

Philbert
You can't hold anything from rotating on the engine when using an impact. The resistance that's working for you is the compression of the engine. Needless to say, it's required that the spark plug be installed while using the impact method.

Back