CMI or AMP rope grabs. please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im gonna buy a second rope grab and it needs to be cheap. dont have the money for a petzl. i cant decide between AMP or CMI becuase i dont know whitch one is a better more reputable company. the CMI has a lower(16kn) break strength then the AMP(5,400lbs). i know CMI is more known then amp so it's a toss up between higher breaking strength or a more reputable brand. please help me!

What are you using it for?

I have been using the same US Standard flip line adjuster sold by Wesspur for 4 or 5 years now without any problems. You can find it here: http://wesspur.com/fliplines/mechanical-adjusters.html

To tell the truth though, The CMI sounds like a better deal. Petzl makes some great stuff but they are expensive. I buy some of their stuff but some items I go the more economical route.

EDIT: Correction, I meant the AMP sounds like a better deal.

Last edited:
What are you using it for?

I have been using the same US Standard flip line adjuster sold by Wesspur for 4 or 5 years now without any problems. You can find it here: http://wesspur.com/fliplines/mechanical-adjusters.html

To tell the truth though, The CMI sounds like a better deal. Petzl makes some great stuff but they are expensive. I buy some of their stuff but some items I go the more economical route.

EDIT: Correction, I meant the AMP sounds like a better deal.

it will be used on my dirty tree setup for those really sappy tree's and as a second flipline adjuster becuase i like to use 2 flips and a climb line when working down a spar.

Last edited:
i was allways under the impression that even a flip line adjuster had to be life support rated. idk why the CMI is a (16kn). isn't that unsafe?

You might consider a prussic cord, tied on with a VT, distel, or the knot of your preference. Given a decent micro-pulley to tend the line, I think they are much more controllable than any rope grab, and they are certainly cheaper and lighter.

Generally, they are much easier to add or remove, also.

i just stumbled across this guy. i think i might give it a try. it says it has the highest breaking strength out of any oft the flipline adjusters out there.
asc154-500.gif

I have the Amp (Puma II). It works pretty well, but know, it is HUGE compared to a Petzl, or most of the other models. Maybe not a big deal, but I was surprised when I pulled it out of the box, and it still looks funny to me.

Also, I would tend to agree with the post above, about using a hitch with a tending pulley, except in this case. When I use my mechanical adjuster, I miss the ability to let out slack with the line weighted. However, the original post indicated that this would be for a dirty tree set up. Where a bit of sap can quickly and permanently gum up an eye-and-eye, a bit of cleaning will bring a mechanical right back to new.

Latest posts

Back