Coating ends of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockfarmer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I searched around but didn't find the right stuff on this. Why do you guys coat the ends of logs?? Does it apply to softwoods too or just hardwoods? I cut down some pines in the past couple weeks and just got my Alaskan sawmill and am almost ready to go for it. I notice about 1/4 of pine sap on the ends of the logs now looks messy!! OK so why and how on the coatings?? :chainsaw:

Anchorseal is "the good stuff". I've used latex paint very successfully. More important on hardwoods than softwoods, but it doesn't hurt to cover them all.

Mark

I searched around but didn't find the right stuff on this. Why do you guys coat the ends of logs?? Does it apply to softwoods too or just hardwoods? I cut down some pines in the past couple weeks and just got my Alaskan sawmill and am almost ready to go for it. I notice about 1/4 of pine sap on the ends of the logs now looks messy!! OK so why and how on the coatings?? :chainsaw:

The reason you want to coat the ends is because the end grain loses moisture faster than other grain directions. The wood will shrink as it dries, and as the outside becomes dryer than the inside of the log, the shrinking will be at different rates. If left uncoated you will likely get cracks in the end grain.

More or less, this is why it is best to saw logs into boards and properly stack and sticker the wood—for an even controlled rate of drying.

I used latex paint and it helped a lot. I do want to try some anchorseal though. Some folks melt parafin wax and use that.

That's my understanding of it.
Good luck.

Anchorseal is "the good stuff". I've used latex paint very successfully. More important on hardwoods than softwoods, but it doesn't hurt to cover them all.

Mark

I was told the same, to use Anchorseal. I can find it locally in gallon jugs.

I've used latex paint as well as polyurethane successfully. The latex is probably better if the wood is wet, and it usually is.

I've seen some logs start cracking within a few hours if not painted or sealed. This was on red oak, so it taught me to do it right away.

Coating with anchorseal will help control the cracks in the end of the log. The amount of time between when you cut the log and when you seal it will have a lot to do with how good it works. Seal log as soon as possible, hours make a big difference in how good it works.
You will probably find the best deal on anchorseal if you go straight to the source. www.uccoatings.com

Latest posts

Back