coil high tension lead removeal help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLEWIS379

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have asked this question before but no one has come up with an answer.
I have a homelite 240 chainsaw and the end of the plug wire is chewed up. I would like to replace the wire. I have tried removing the wire from the coil by pulling on it and trying to twist it out to no avail. I didn't want to break it so I wasn't overly aggressive. The IPL shows a replacement plug wire. It also says coil module. To me module means one piece. So the question is, is it replaceable or not?

Hi Lewis,
I checked the schematic for Homelite model 240, under UT-10621 and found that the module and lead have two different part numbers. The module is part number 94711a and the high tension lead is 69326. This would indicate that the wire is a separate piece and is replaceable. The parts book states to cut the lead to 6.5 inches in length before installing it so they must use a bulk size for all of these ignitions. The high tension lead should just pull out of the module. Sometimes there is some silicon sealant in the opening which makes it a little more difficult to get the wire out. I wouldnt think you would have to use a Homelite lead if you have something else similar available? Attached is the diagram.

Best wishes,
Bob

I just replaced the lead on a super 2. The darn thing was glued in with what looked like super glue.
It was a bit of monkeying around to get all the reminants of the old lead out.
I ended up using a very fine flat screwdriver to break up the glue, then pulled the works out with a needle nosed plier.
Plus the spike that the high tention lead twists onto, did not appear to be
threaded. Just smooth with nothing to grab the inside of the lead.
So I just pressed (and twisted) a new one in and reglued it.
I have yet to reassemble the whole saw, but there's no reason that it shouldn't work.
CSW

coil high tension lead removal help

Hi Lewis,
I checked the schematic for Homelite model 240, under UT-10621 and found that the module and lead have two different part numbers. The module is part number 94711a and the high tension lead is 69326. This would indicate that the wire is a separate piece and is replaceable. The parts book states to cut the lead to 6.5 inches in length before installing it so they must use a bulk size for all of these ignitions. The high tension lead should just pull out of the module. Sometimes there is some silicon sealant in the opening which makes it a little more difficult to get the wire out. I wouldnt think you would have to use a Homelite lead if you have something else similar available? Attached is the diagram.

Best wishes,
Bob

I just replaced the lead on a super 2. The darn thing was glued in with what looked like super glue.
It was a bit of monkeying around to get all the reminants of the old lead out.
I ended up using a very fine flat screwdriver to break up the glue, then pulled the works out with a needle nosed plier.
Plus the spike that the high tention lead twists onto, did not appear to be
threaded. Just smooth with nothing to grab the inside of the lead.
So I just pressed (and twisted) a new one in and reglued it.
I have yet to reassemble the whole saw, but there's no reason that it shouldn't work.
CSW

Thanks to both of you fellas. I didn't want to ruin the coil. Now that I know that the wire is removable I will attempt to remove it.I Might try some modrate heat to soften the glue first. It cost $30.00 for a new coil and thats about what the saw is worth. I do like the saw it works well when I prune my apple trees or when limbing. I think I bought it about 30 years ago. Once again thanks to you both.

Back