Cold Weather Gear: Bibs or Coveralls?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What do you wear?

I've always had a pair of coveralls to work in on the ground. Don't get to use them much on the job because I don't climb in them. To tell the truth, by the time I am in the tree and working I am warmed up and good with a sweatshirt (no hood) and a vest most of the time. I like to keep my coveralls handy for when I am doing ground work though. The wind sucks here. Sometimes I have to climb in some really high winds and in the Winter you will freeze your nads off sometimes.

My groundie has a nice insulated set of bibs that look pretty sweet. I have switched to insulated bibs to hunt in and like them a lot because they allow me to layer my upper body better. They are less bulky around the arms than coveralls and generally give me more range of motion as well. Anyone ever tried to climb in bibs?

The non insulated carhart bibs for me. If it gets colder, a pair of long johns under the jeans. That's gotten me through every winter so far.

Anything insulated just seems to get too hot to climb in, maybe good for a few weeks in january when it gets cold enough, whereas the non insulated will get used most of the winter.

Yeah, I have never been comfortable climbing wearing bulky clothes. I usually wear long johns under a pair of heavy canvas ####ies which is probably comparable to your Carharts. Other than that it is usually long john top under a sweatshirt and a lined vest if it really cold. I usually end up shedding the vest pretty quick though. However, the coveralls do feel pretty good on the ground.

I've run the bib's and coveralls both climbing and groundwork. Coveralls will keep you warmer in the really bad cold and wind, but also don't allow the sweat and built up heat to escape so easily as bibs do.

I wear long johns under jeans and toss my uninsulated carhardt bibs on when I'm on the ground. I've tried to climb in them before but found it too bulky. In the tree just the jeans and long johns on the bottom and a turtleneck and sweat shirt on top. It gets cold when waiting for the ground guys but if I'm busy I don't really notice.

Bibs

I tried for the first time to climb in insulated bibs. I have to say I am not a fan. I like wearing long johns under a pair of heavy canvas Carharts. Too much weight with the insulated ones.

Bibs, I'm pretty small and have no fat, which is no good in the winter! I love to climb with the bibs, a little bulky at first, but the fact that I have a little padding makes up for it.
I wear coveralls too, much warmer, but I feel like that kid from A Christmas Story!

We have to wear slash pants (or chaps), even in the tree. Warm in the winter, although when its 7 degrees (Celsius) and raining, anything under the raingear gets hot.

It's been raining here off and on for the past 2 weeks. Makes for a crowded dry room (clothes, raingear and climbing gear).

they do the same thing climbing.... i like the wrap chaps. in regards to the cold weather gear i have a pair of carhart bibs as well.

You tuck em under your spurs or wear them over?

Bibs over coveralls; must have good side zippers. Long johns upper & lower for really cold work.

For upper body protection in really cold & windy: Long Johns, t shirt, regular shirt, insulated vest, then a thick coat that goes to mid thigh for good wind protection.

I couldn't hope to climb with anything but pants & long johns. My climbing belt is too tight, and my waist has gotten too big. Shucks, I've had the same belt for the last 15-20 years. It fit fine until about 7 years after I got married.

Last edited:
Bibs over coveralls; must have good side zippers. Long johns upper & lower for really cold work.

For upper body protection in really cold & windy: Long Johns, t shirt, regular shirt, insulated vest, then a thick coat that goes to mid thigh for good wind protection.

I couldn't hope to climb with anything but pants & long johns. My climbing belt is too tight, and my waist has gotten too big. Shucks, I've had the same belt for the last 15-20 years. It fit fine until about 7 years after I got married.

Easy to say for someone with stubby fingers, you old fart... Merry Christmas!!! :D

You tuck em under your spurs or wear them over?

when i do wear spurs i just pull the chaps up a bit so they are loose ( i wear the full wrap around the calf chaps) when i put the spikes on. so in the answer yes i wrap my pad around the chaps but i pull the chaps up a little so that i have full leg movement with the chaps tucked into the pad...... copy that?

I use bibs for the cold stuff i feel that they allow better control of your body heat and they seem to layer easier than coveralls. I save the coveralls for ice fishing.

coveralls for the ground, mine have full length zippers so you can put em on with your boots and **** on easy, in the tree i where a grundens fleece pullover with oilskin sleeves and an oilskin chest and back and insulated carhartt pants, but then again we dont break out the cold weather stuff till febuary now that im in southern maine it just isnt cold enough to warrant

Never climb, but for ground work it's always carhartt insulated bibs so I can layer the top according to how cold and how much work I'm doing. When it gets really cold and nasty I wear a set of goose down coveralls that are waterproof from Cabela's, they are the warmest thing I have ever worn, but they do have some bulk too them.

Back