Collectable Vintage Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would stay away from the homelites as all the parts and saws you see out there are accounted for....just lacking money at the moment! :monkey:

Ok on a serious note, you cannot go wrong with any brand really. Buy a few you think are cool and play with them a bit then make a decision on which you like the best and go with it.

If I were you I would only collect
Dolmar 166's and large Homelites, pretty much any thing over 100cc's

I don't think that you would want to collect any large Stihl's
probably want to stay away from them! LOL

Seriously, take your time, look at pics (this site, internet, and ebay)
Find a brand, size, ARE HECK ANY.
I learned that for my self it is easier for me to maintain and repair same or related saws, for parts, gaskets, ect.

But a more serious note, you have now gone from a recreational user of saws to a full blown addict! It is all down chain from here now! WELCOME ABOARD!

You might start small by seeing what you can find at local auctions, yard sales, flea marts or talking to saw shops that have old saws in their parts piles.

Yeah you know,.........that's where I found all my 750's.

A shop that has been in buisness for a long while and is willing to let you peak and deal can be a treasure trove.

I learned that for my self it is easier for me to maintain and repair same or related saws, for parts, gaskets, ect.

But a more serious note, you have now gone from a recreational user of saws to a full blown addict! It is all down chain from here now! WELCOME ABOARD!

I think he should start learning all he can about 084's, 090's and especially the legendary and most desireable 090G with big top end. After that start searching all craigslist Ohio stihl listings and any large Stihls on ebay. Yup that's what he should do.:greenchainsaw:

I think he should start learning all he can about 084's, 090's and especially the legendary and most desireable 090G with big top end. After that start searching all craigslist Ohio stihl listings and any large Stihls on ebay. Yup that's what he should do.:greenchainsaw:

I was inevitable! :greenchainsaw:

What??? I'm just givin a new collector some sound start up advice. I guess you can't see my halo from there.:angel:

Finding parts is half the fun. I recommend go over to Mr. Acres site and look over some of the models and see if any grab your attention. Many of the listings have photos. Search for threads around here and see how much info you can find on the models that interest you. Ask yourself the reason you really want to get into older saws.

I think most of us have a reason we prefer certain saws. For myself, it started with my father having a 350 Homelite that needed a little fixing up.

Dan

What??? I'm just givin a new collector some sound start up advice. I guess you can't see my halo from there.:angel:

:clap::clap: Chumming up to the neighbor, I see what is going on :clap:
Also you will meet like people looking for the same items.

Finding parts is half the fun. I recommend go over to Mr. Acres site and look over some of the models and see if any grab your attention. Many of the listings have photos. Search for threads around here and see how much info you can find on the models that interest you. Ask yourself the reason you really want to get into older saws.

I think most of us have a reason we prefer certain saws. For myself, it started with my father having a 350 Homelite that needed a little fixing up.

Dan

That I had to learn!
Parts are a fun hunt, seems like you will never find them, but then one shows up! Keep in mind I have been on the look out for certain saws-parts for as many days as some have years!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many types, from many "ages", that you may have a tough time making a choice. While my focus is McCullochs, I have some Homelites and a few examples of saws that interest me. Pick a brand or motor type, you could have a large collection of nothing but chainsaws powered by that 77cc Westbend motor.

Poulan! like an old sand cast. i am now on the hunt for an old Poulan gear drive:chainsaw:

Yep, I agree.
I would look for 166's with bad pistons.
Then i could sell a couple.

And if you can't find any 166's i would
go after Stihl 090G's

Lee

Yep, I agree.
I would look for 166's with bad pistons.
Then i could sell a couple.

And if you can't find any 166's i would
go after Stihl 090G's

Lee

2 against one! Good thing I am built like a runner!! LOL!

But if you find a 090G you will need a handy dandy rim sprocket for it! ;) LOL

i like the old homelites, i fell in love with my 77cc xl-922, and recently bought a running xl-12 and used it on a early camping trip and fell in love...lol now i got 4 of them.... my friends took pictures of me cutting firwood on our camping trip and i look soo cool useing that old saw....lol

If you started with an XL 12 you could find them in droves...plus they are easy to work on...parts are also not a problem. I would like to have a 044 with a fried piston...hint...hint.

Latest posts

Back