Coming soon!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's slick looking Dennis, what happens when the saw throws a chain
and smacks into the chain guard?

The weight savings would be nice, my bickesaw is 62 pounds.

The chain guard has a thin piece of titanium molded in the middle just in case. With the new sprocket design though, haven't thrown a chain yet......Knock on wood! With the aluminum frame I was at 52lbs. total fueled/bar & chain weight. Not sure yet what the carbon frame is going to totally save, but just the frame weighs 2lbs.

The chain guard has a thin piece of titanium molded in the middle just in case. With the new sprocket design though, haven't thrown a chain yet......Knock on wood! With the aluminum frame I was at 52lbs. total fueled/bar & chain weight. Not sure yet what the carbon frame is going to totally save, but just the frame weighs 2lbs.

Done right, CF is incredibly durable. I wouldn't expect a chain to do any more damage to CF than to mag or aluminum. CF is seeing a lot of use in downhill mountain biking frames which is a far more demanding application.

"Coming soon" Carbon fiber Hotsaws......Stay tuned!.......Hahahahahaha!

IMG9592561.jpg

So is Christmas! :blob2: :yoyo:

Done right, CF is incredibly durable. I wouldn't expect a chain to do any more damage to CF than to mag or aluminum. CF is seeing a lot of use in downhill mountain biking frames which is a far more demanding application.

Yeah my K2/Pro-Flex bike has two carbon fiber sub-frames and a carbon fiber fork. I've put probably 4k miles on that bike without an issue yet, and it's
been through tons of abuse hauling my fat ass around.

Here's this weekend's engineering. Lots of drilling and fitting. The carbon fiber's not hard to drill, grind, or cut, but dulls everything pretty fast. There's suppose to be single flute drills for this, but I don't have any yet. Dulls band saw blades fairly fast too. Right now we've reduced the total weight by more than 6lbs with some parts still missing, but will add more carbon pieces as we go.

002-28.jpg

001-25.jpg

Last edited:
Here's this weekend's engineering. Lots of drilling and fitting. The carbon fiber's not hard to drill, grind, or cut, but dulls everything pretty fast. There's suppose to be single flute drills for this, but I don't have any yet. Dulls band saw blades fairly fast too. Right now we've reduced the total weight by more than 6lbs with some parts still missing, but will add more carbon pieces as we go.

002-28.jpg

001-25.jpg

Dual compression releases???? Ya wimp...

Looks good

If testing goes good TJ Bexten will be using the carbon fiber frame March 30 at the STS qualifier in Corvalis, Oregon. That's the same CR250 engine he won with last year, but it was sporting the aluminum frame. Even the starter handle is CF but we need some round stock to make the handle full CF.

004-17.jpg

005-13.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis, there are alot of carbon fibre paddles for Outrigger canoe's, Stand Up Paddle, kyaking etc Round hollow stock should be easy to come by. Im still very interested to see the ganes and longevity of CF in this application.

Im still very interested to see the ganes and longevity of CF in this application.

Yes, me too. Just like the time I bought an aluminum bar for the 500......very light weight, but didn't last more than 2 cuts, and cost me $300. I do think the CF will work well and make the 250 quite a bit lighter.

I've worked with CF a bit. You really gotta watch out as there are some health risks. The dust has tiny little fibers that can really cause trouble for your lungs. I know other guys that won't touch it anymore due to chronic respiratory infections. It's best to do everything wet sp as not to create any dust

surely a decent mask with the appropriate filters would take care of that....there are ALOT of surfboard shapers where I live....usual work uniform is board shorts, thongs and a mask.

Latest posts

Back