common yew in central florida

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asthesun

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
they look quite interesting, anyone know if they will thrive/survive here and where i can get the seeds/saplings? yes i know they're poisonous

What hardiness zone are you located in? Most of the landscape quality yews seem to top out at Zone 7 for hardiness which to me would suggest your thrive/survive qualification may be an issue. I'm thinking would suffer from more susceptibility to insects/diseases; struggle to maintain the density that is so common with the species, etc. Perhaps a microclimate that was cooler than the norm? (Opposite here...we are constantly looking for warmer microclimates. And although we are typically rated below what Taxus sp like, there are many thriving in the Valley due to selective individual placement.

You also have an indigenous species, Taxus floridana, which looks intriguing. Although the link supplied does mention "rare" and "endangered". You never know exactly what that means. Perhaps you could find a supplier and start some. Might be a good project.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/taxu_flo.cfm

Sylvia

What hardiness zone are you located in? Most of the landscape quality yews seem to top out at Zone 7 for hardiness which to me would suggest your thrive/survive qualification may be an issue. I'm thinking would suffer from more susceptibility to insects/diseases; struggle to maintain the density that is so common with the species, etc. Perhaps a microclimate that was cooler than the norm? (Opposite here...we are constantly looking for warmer microclimates. And although we are typically rated below what Taxus sp like, there are many thriving in the Valley due to selective individual placement.

You also have an indigenous species, Taxus floridana, which looks intriguing. Although the link supplied does mention "rare" and "endangered". You never know exactly what that means. Perhaps you could find a supplier and start some. Might be a good project.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/taxu_flo.cfm

Sylvia

oh yeah i cut those down all the time. j/k never seen one. looking more for the common yew, like they used to make bows out of. idk what zone i'm in. winter it gets to 30-40 lows at night and around 50-60 in the day. north central florida. probably have a better chance of growing them here than in say miami or tampa. here we are fully forrested

Latest posts

Back