compact 4x4 tractor or big atv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy steve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at both sides.Most used tractors 20 hp or less are cheaper than big 4wheelers.Does any body have clutch or brake problems with atv's and heavy loads of green wood?I went from a 12'trailer to a 16' trailer.The 350 atv I have now struggled with the small trailer more braking than power ,but just the same whats everbody gota say about it.

Tractor.

Power to do the pulling means nothing without the weight on the axles.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Get what you can afford. A tractor would be great. We get a lot of hauling done with the 660 grizzly and ATV arch though.

Go with what you can pay for, maintain easily, and work within its abilities.

That said:

skid loader, even one of the mini's, check out sawinredneck's thread on this catagory, good info and pics.

tractor, if it has a loader, get some forks made for it that swap out with the bucket, then have plenty of rear ballast weight on the 3pth, and you will have a very capable wood moving machine.

atv.

A tractor with quick-attach forks will allow you to lift and carry logs easily. I put a pallet on the forks and load it up with firewood. You can also get implements for the 3 point hitch like a forestry winch (Farmi, Tajfun) which is great for skidding out logs and winching out hang-ups. Just my 0.02

I've used both, and I would say the tractor wins hands down. Even an old 8n Ford tractor is suprisingly nimble in the woods. I think just the combination of traction, with the tires, weight, and gearing makes pulling a loaded trailer effortless. Where I'm at is pretty flat ground. In hilly terain, I suspect a tractor with front wheel assist would be just the ticket.
:cheers:
Gregg,

I USE one small tractor to haul logs out of the woods, mow lawns, snowblow..garden..all with turf tires, no chains. 4 wheel drive and a loader is critical for working in the woods in the winter. All i have to do is make sure my road to the woods gets packed down after the larger storms and I can do lots of logging in the winter.

the small tractor is very nimble. the ony downside is that it is very tippy..look for the widest wheelbase you can find!

tIM

I have a 65hp Massey that sees alot of use. No loader on it. I have a set of forks for the 3pt, I also have a cherry picker for the 3pt, that thing comes in verry usefull for hauling stuff out.

I also have a Gator, that is the most handy piece of equiptment I have used yet for cutting wood. (short of a bobcat) Most of my cutting is done in my woods and I would never be able to get a tractor in some of the places I cut, or up some of the gullys. I haul all my gear in the woods on it, then haul wood out. At times I wish the box was bigger though.

No question. Tractors are made for this kind of work, ATVs can be used for this kind of work.

Kind of like using a wrench for a hammer. Yeah, you can do it, but the right tool works a lot better.

Remember where ATVs came from - they were built for fun, not work. Not to say you can't get a lot done with one, but it's a wrench, not a hammer.

Tractor with a front end loader & 4 wheel drive all the way. I have a John Deere 770 (790 now) best investment I ever made, peroid! You will not believe the stuff you can lift and even better the stuff you can skid. I got hit with a tornado and lost about +200 80' white pines, some oak and some black cherry. I moved it all, except for one 42" Dia x 16' long black cherry trunk.
pic of the tractor in my avatar. BTW I have quick hitch on the 3-point hitch, GREAT for skidding. Hook the cable up and lift the front of log and you can skid alot of weight.

See ya,

Thunder

Last edited:
I wish I had a loader, and 4 wheel drive. But my 45 Hp Oliver 55 diesel has done everything I have wanted in the woods. I couldn't imagine life without my tractor, and my 3 pt winch.

Well I completely agree with all the tractor recommendations. Getting your first tractor is a great thing, and I will never be without one the rest of my life.
I haul a 5x8 trailer off a rear draw bar, 42" bucket forks on, saws, fuel, oil, PPE, saw box, cables, chain, in the bucket. unload the bucket, unhook the trailer and gear up. Go to my selected tree and drop it, might use a rope or cable to the tractor might not. Start limbing tossing the brush aside, throwing burnable limbs in the trailer. When it looks like I got a pinch, I get my bucket forks under there to support it or hook up a chain and roll it over. Buck up the main trunk, roll it over with the tractor, finish cutting, load large round with the loader. Trailer is full, hookup and drag it home,than manual unload it. Then go back for more. Push the brush into a pile gets most of it, but still some manual work to do a good job. I can get 2 or 3 good loads within 8 hours by myself this way taking breaks after I unload at the house. Once I get me a dump trailer I should be able to double that. Two good trailer loads is one cord, maybe a little more, with the 80 cuft. trailer.
I use my ATV's to select and mark trees. My largest '00 honda 450 4x4, works hard to pull my loaded 8' trailer, I don't think it would pull a 12' or 16' trailer loaded with wood and it certaily wouldn't stop it. That's one strong 350 you got their.
I wife will ride her ATV over sometimes to help or bring me drink or complain that I didn't answer my cell again.
Good luck in your search

I use the tractor on my avatar
<--------- with forks/splitter in the woods and My daily driver 01 Jeep wrangler with a tilt trailer out in the woods for gettin the wood to the house. Frees up the tractor to pile brush/split. I used to haul wood in the loader bucket...too small/too many trips. My 6 grand jeep is about as cheap as an ATV and street legal. Plus my girls love to ride in it:clap::clap::clap:

If you get a tractor with a loader....FWA or 2 wheel drive.....DO NOT LOAD THE 3 PT HITCH to increase loader capacity. Instead spend the money to get liquid ballast, preferably rim guard and pick up what the tractor can without struggle. I have seen some tractors with wheel weights, loaded 3pt and liquid ballast and the front end is always the victim. FWA is great to have on a loader tractor as you have more control when steering while loaded. Most small tractors are foreign built and in most respects are built to last. The JD/Yanmar, Newholland Boomers, Kubotas, and small Massey/Agco machines are the better ones to look for. Older units like some of the small Fords are great buys too. Check out tractorhouse.com and tractordata.com for models and tech info. JJ

If you get a tractor with a loader....FWA or 2 wheel drive.....DO NOT LOAD THE 3 PT HITCH to increase loader capacity. Instead spend the money to get liquid ballast, preferably rim guard and pick up what the tractor can without struggle. JJ

I agree on not using BOTH, but either is good, depending on what other applications you have for the tractor. Loaded tires will cause excessive compaction if used on wet ground mowing or whatnot, but a ballast box has to be dropped to use 3pt equipment...

For the original post: I'd say it really depends what other uses you have for either one. An ATV will do the job, not maybe as efficiently as the tractor, but it will get your firewood home. If you like to play, it's a LOT more fun than a tractor. Tractors that only get used for woodcutting are money probably spent better elsewhere, maintenance and repair bills can add up fast if something breaks.

Are you cutting at home or at another location? ATV can be hauled in a pickup bed, tractor will need a trailer or be driven (Most compacts only run +- 10 MPH). My bigger farm tractors will run around 20MPH, but I generally try not to drive them outside of about a 5 mile radius.

I use both for woodcutting. The ATV gets where the big stuff can't, pulling an 18 CU FT trailer. I generally will park the big trailer somewhere close and haul out to it, and if possible split while cross-loading. Tractors have the muscle and traction you won't get on an ATV, and with a loader, the ability to lift stuff so you don't have to.

Let us know what you work out, and remember the ArboristSite mantra - post LOTS of pics!

Didn't read it all. yet
in the long run get both. I will have both soon.
Its hard to trade of the good and bad's of both but a lot depends on your terrain. I have all kinds of terrain and the atv seemed to be a bit better but i planed on riding trails so i got the quad.

hears my setup. double axle trailer follows you.
08 Yamaha grizzly

CIMG0641.jpg

CIMG0632-2.jpg

i wouldn't be able to gt 1/2 the wood i get with a tractor but their is some wood that would be easier to handle with a tractor.
Preferably a 4x4 kubota with loader and backhoe.

my .02

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back