compact tractor versus mini skid steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You pretty much have to have MFWD in a smaller tractor. Mine is 47 hp and weighs about 5200 lbs without the loader. Weighs probably 6200 or so with loader and bucket I would imagine. If I get a full load of dirt in the bucket, the back end gets really light. I need to get the rear tires filled for ballast, just haven't done it.

I Used to use a John Deere 310 loader backhoe, so when the toro dealer showed us the mini skid... we just laughed, that is a toy we said......
Then we had a job planting 26 coconuts with 6' of wood, about 1200lb each . They had to be planted in the back with no access on the sides. Only access was under the house on stilts. Of course the back hoe would not fit. The toro dealer said we could have his machine for the day with all the attachments for free! So why not, what did we have to lose. We brought a new holland skid steer just in case. The tree bar that he had was a joke but we were still able to unload all the trees and get them to the back yard. He had a 36" auger that was almost bigger than the machine! We thought this would never work, until 24" boulders came flying out of the hole! So we got all of the trees planted and then used the trencher to install a drip irrigation system on the trees all in the same day. $26,000
In one day ... we were sold. You can carry your trees and equipment on the same trailer, one trip saves time and money. You will never regret having a mini skid! Just acquire all of the attachments as time and jobs require.

Latest posts

Back