Comparison of Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy1234

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone, who has actually used them, give comparisons of the following chain grinders?

1.) Oregon 511A
2.) Oregon's cheaper model (part #???) Usually around $150
3.) Stihl's chain grinder
4.) The MAXX grinder advertised on ebay

and last, but not least,

5.) the $29.99 Harbor Freight chain grinder

Opinion's, purchase reasoning, advantages???? What kind of chain do you sharpen, chiesel, semi-chiesel, or ripping?

When forming your opinion's, did you modify the grinder? If so, how and why?

Typical use would be anywhere from once a week to several times a day.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

:popcorn:

That would be interesting, I'm looking at a maxx grinder myself because you can grind left and right cutter outside in ,,,,

maxxSomeone on the forum bought a Maxx.Hopefully we will here from him.

your probably the one I'm bidding against on ebay!Through the years I have had Belsaw, and Chicago Machinery.I have sharpened a lot of chains for myself and profit.The only angle you can do with the cheapo's is the top angle.Now if your good with a facing stone you can try and dress the wheel for your other angles.But this is a pain in the butt.So you will create a hook.But believe it or not in 30 years I never had had a complaint.The depth guages are the critical thing.There is a lot of slop in the cheapos also.But for $30.00 how much beer can you buy?I hope the maxx will be more professional.I sharpen about 200 chains a year,and the cheapos last about 2 years.Someone on this forum bought a Maxx.Hopefully we will here from him.:deadhorse:
Ed

Who, me?

The Maxx is a good machine. I especially like the ambidextrous adjustment. It's not perfect, but when compared to the cost of machines that are, it's acceptable. For me, it took only 1 practice chain to get fast, reasonably accurate results.

The only problem I've had so far is excessive vibration when using a steel diamond wheel. I havn't been able to pinpoint whether it's caused by arbor run-out or wheel balance. Regular wheels vibrate some, but at acceptable levels.

I have owned the Maxx grinder for nearly 2 years and think it is an awesome machine! The tilting head is a great feature because it eliminates any burs on the outside edge of the cutters. I did a lot of research before buying it and i think it is definitely the best bang for the buck. It has an all aluminum base and is very well constructed. No slop in the mechanism when trying to grind. The Mechanical chain clamp device is very simple and reliable. The grinding wheels are very easy to get also as they use the same as the Oregon 511. I highly recommend this unit for the overall quality and performance and relatively low cost.:cheers:

That Silvey grinder is The Cats meow! But wow! the price is way up there. I would have to grind A LOT!!! of chains to justify buying one myself. My Maxx grinder has already paid for itself a couple times over since i bought it.

fixitguy75 said:
Hmmm? Mine is super smooth. I am only using the pink vitrified grinding wheels from Bailey's though.

When I have the pink wheels on it, it vibrates some but no more than what I would expect. When I put the diamond wheel on it, the vibration is amplified to the point where it moves stuff on the work bench. I can measure .002" run-out on the arbor shaft with a dial indicator but I have no way of knowing if this is the cause or only part of the problem. I can't come up with any good way to measure the balance of the diamond wheel.

How is the 136? supposed to be Oregon 511.Any users out there?Torn between the Maxx and Oregon 511.Help me spend my money!!
Ed

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Let me know if you need more pictures.. price was around 340.00

Last edited:
04ultra, Great grinder, the tecomec, also made for Oregon. We have two we use in our shop just like that one with the hydraulic clamping system of course ours has Oregon written on them and are Black in color. I also have an older Tecomec ( Efco brand ) that has forward and reverse modes that we use also. We keep them set up for drags, one for small chain and one for large chains. The newer ones can only be sold with the reverse mode to keep debris from getting on the operator and satisfying OSHA. Our store has been using these tecomec Italian built grinders for over 25 years and they have always been great. We do sell them after 4-5 years and replace with new ones only because we wear the bar rails and clamps out. I have never had a motor to fail. I highly recommend them for professional use, maybe a little overkill for home use, but it's only money Right ???? Tony

Urbicide said:
04ultra, how do you like the hydraulic chain vise on your grinder?

Works real nice...friend has the 511a and used mine and asked if I wanted to trade...I did make a rubber shield the i put in front of the rear cylinder and blow it off after each use..We'll see how it works in the future..

maxx

Well just spent my money and got the Maxx.Ultra what did you pay for the 150.Looks just like the maxx. Hope I didn't get screwed!
Ed

OK, I didn't realize that the Tecomec was the Super Jolly......

Thanks to all for the info, looking forward to more!!!

:popcorn:

Andy

elektrobot said:
Has anyone tried one of these? I visit northerntool.com pretty frequently, and just noticed this a few days ago.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327451_200327451

Is this similar to any grinder that might just have a different brand name, or is it a whole new grinder?

If it has the Northern Tool brand name it is most likely made in china...All new Northern air tools are. The only grinders I saw in the store were Oregon.. That was in Milwaukee .. If you ask the sales people the come rite out and tell you where there made.

Latest posts

Back