Compression is 120 psi on Jonsered 2165; too low?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borrow someone elses guage. These things are not exactly accurate on 2 strokes. Try the picking it up by the pull cord. Is it better than before? Then finnaly the new rings need a little time to wear in and then the compression will go up. Make sure the saw is running the proper R's and run it.

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada 780 ft ASL...I did take it out anb cleaned it up and no I didn't lose the sealing washer. There wasn't very much carbon on that valve fwiw.

No access to another gauge.

Just for fun I'm gonna check the compression on my ATV (2005 Suzuki King Quad and see what comes up..its supposed to be 145 psi).

You can see the hole at about the 4:30 position in this photo.

Good idea, I have a guage that shows 122 on every 2 stoke I test it on. It works fine on my truck.

How many tanks of gas have these new rings seen? They need time to seat and work in.

Run it a while and see if it picks up

How is the idle on the saw now?

Does it idle well or does it seem to vary on it's own?

Post a pic of your gauge and also try it on you Quad and see what it reads like you posted.

I always check ring end gap because I came from old school where rings were not custom matched and still see occasional gaps that are too small which does not allow for sealing.

Won a few lunches and dinners that way.

You are woring yourself for no reason. The rings need 5 to 10 tanks to break in. Your compressoin will go up. Stop worring and go cut, then report back after 10 tanks. I dont even put a guage on a new set of rings until I have 10 tanks through because of the exact issues you are having.

OK...all the advice seems to be well thought out and I'll heed it!

About those carb adjusters, do I have to do anything to them so I can set my carb...I mean I can't budge them right now, they won't move CCW or CW!

OH and no go on the ATV compression check...that thing takes a plug thats smaller than 14 mm, looks like about 12 mm (the size of the threaded portion of the plug). My guage is for 18 and 14 mm.

Last edited:
Mine were very tight on my 2071 as well. The H moved with minor trouble, The L was really locked up. Get some PB (walmar sells it) or liquid wrench (but I think PB is Better) and hit the needles every day for 2 or 3 days and see if that loosens them up. Dont force them and break one off. Work the needle both directions, My 2071 had to be opened before I could close it.

Back