Compression testing question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How many times do you guys pull the cord to get your compression test results? Go until the needle fails to advance any farther? It took about 4 to 5 pulls to get the needle to stop moving.

I bought a compression tester in advance of the saws I bought on the bay arriving (tach is coming, too). I had a couple of minutes tonight to throw it on the 2 saws I already have. The 372 showed 130-135 max. That was slightly disappointing, but I know that the rings are not seated all the way yet, I haven't run it enough (don't worry, pulling season is almost over and wood cutting season is coming!). What really made me question whether I was doing it right was the little, used-but-not-abused 141 bent the needle over past 150psi:chainsaw: :givebeer: ! If I'm doing this right, then I can't wait to muffler-mod the 141 and wake her up. I really want to do that to the 372, also, but $700 is a lot to void the warranty over, so she has to wait... at least until next spring when a second 372 joins her:rock:

Thanks for the help gentlemen, you've been thoroughly corrupting, uh, I mean, helpful:cheers: .

CPR

I use a tester that has a 1" hose on it, and a schrader valve in the fitting, after 3 pulls the needle is usually done moving, on anything from a 21cc trimmer to an 80cc vintage saw.

Seems like the longer your hose, the more you have to pull...

I use a tester that has a 1" hose on it, and a schrader valve in the fitting, after 3 pulls the needle is usually done moving, on anything from a 21cc trimmer to an 80cc vintage saw.

Seems like the longer your hose, the more you have to pull...

I would like to do some tests with shorter hoses that have schrader valves. Where do you guys get these?

If you have a schrader valve it doesn't matter how long the hose is... other than a few more pulls. I find the longer hose easier to use.

Latest posts

Back