Conflicting Tuning Advice on Echo CS-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lumbarleft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for some tuning advice on an Echo CS-590 Timberwolf chainsaw. I called Echo, and they told me that a range of between 12,000 and 13,000 rpms with no load and bar an chain attached was acceptable. In the past I have read very few threads actually identifying a target rpm for this saw using a tach. Here is the thing. I am old school, and tune in wood. I use my ear. I listen for the 4 cycling that suddenly cleans up in the cut. With this saw, I hear four cycling around 11,300 to 11,500 rpm. Even then, it sounds a little lean to me, but I understand that there is an rpm limiter incorporated with the ignition system. Not wanting to be fooled, I go overly rich and work my way lean. Here is the thing. I have the saw running reasonably well the way it is currently set. The plug looks to be running hotter than I would like, even though I am running 40:1 mix with 100% synthetic high quality oil. Currently, I am only 7/8ths of a turn open on my high speed jet. I understand that this Echo has a different type of metering system that has a by-pass channel to augment carburetor fuel supply. I know I have a reliable tach. The machine is running the way I trust it to run, yet I am 1000 rpms under recommendations from Echo. I am not willing to burn up a saw to meet recommendations from a manufacturer that is notorious for running a lean saw. If I am way off base here, please - someone straighten me out, as I clearly have something to learn. One last thing. As I run higher rpms, the four cycling sound is GONE! That tells me the rpm limiter is really set higher. That tells me that there is no 4 cycling in the recommended rpm range until you actually hit the limiter. My guts tell me to stay away from factory recommendations.

Yeah sounds like your ok.i wouldnt listen to whoever it was that you were talking to.you could look towards 12,000 if you done a muffler mod.they must have been giving recomendations for something other than the 590/600.

Coming straight from an echo dealer I never use a tach. Always my ear. Echo saws love to run rich. Too lean and they will bog. If it don't 4 stroke in the cut then you are in good shape .

Coming straight from an echo dealer I never use a tach. Always my ear. Echo saws love to run rich. Too lean and they will bog. If it don't 4 stroke in the cut then you are in good shape .

Thank you very much to both you, and all others who have replied to this thread. I feel much more assured that I have the saw properly tuned. The saw has good power in the cut, enough so that I can lean on it (just testing for torque), and it still doesn't bog. I just couldn't figure out why the saw wasn't running in the factory identified rpm range. I'm just going to get that out of my head once and for all. Thanks again to those that responded.

You sound like you have done this before once or twice. If you know you are erring on the safe side by having it a little rich and are comfortable with how the saw runs and cuts, then great, don't over think things.

If advice about a saws tune is fubar and makes no sense, no matter what the source, then disregard it!

Too lean on recommended tune is a EPA thing......just like 50:1 oil ratio......and stingy oil pumps......

Too lean on recommended tune is a EPA thing......just like 50:1 oil ratio......and stingy oil pumps......
Well, it's one possible response to a requirement to reduce emissions when you have not spent any money on development and someone else owns all the relevant technology.

Well, it's one possible response to a requirement to reduce emissions when you have not spent any money on development and someone else owns all the relevant technology.

agree.... but it seems echo (yamabiko) is following the big 2 mfg's in 2T emissions evolution. ala 4 transfer ports. that itself is worth about 20% less polution. baby steps at first.

yamabiko sells more weedkickers and blowers than saws. the way epa credits work, they are not forced to evolve saw motors using the latest tech so far.

-omb

Latest posts

Back