confused about 066 cylinder on 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I read all of the posts on the 064. If Im reading it right the 064 cant use a 066 cylinder. It sounds like the mounting holes dont line up. So what are my options for a 064 strictly OEM cylinder and piston. I wanted to put the BB 066 on it. I didnt really want to sell to get a 066 cause the 064 runs good and has been taken good care of but it is a option I guess.

I read all of the posts on the 064. If Im reading it right the 064 cant use a 066 cylinder. It sounds like the mounting holes dont line up. So what are my options for a 064 strictly OEM cylinder and piston. I wanted to put the BB 066 on it. I didnt really want to sell to get a 066 cause the 064 runs good and has been taken good care of but it is a option I guess.

I'm not sure if the piston pin and stroke is the same? If so might be able to elongate cyl bolt holes to fit.

I'm in the process of doing this with 038s to 038M.

Look at slotting the bolt holes on the jug and possibly some work on muffler as a minimum The big bore piston is enough larger that even some 066 base opening has to have some material removed to allow the piston to drop down into the crankcase so the big bore might be even a little more involved than an OEM 066 to install on an 064.

I was wondering about slotting the bolt holes in the cylinder. I t seems that most aftermarket parts revolve around the the 066. I just dont want to spend a lot of money and then have it not work. I guess that I could send it back if its not used but as soon as I try to enlongate and if doesnt work than Im up a creek.
jason

It's a lot of work to put the big bore on an 064 but it can be done. I know of one builder that's done a few. You can stick with your 064 cylinder and piston and do a few simple mods and get a lot of snap out of it. The 064 is a great saw and the big bore kit isn't necessarily going to make it a bigger saw, if you know what I mean.

I got thinking last night if the slots werent all just perfect and the same size then it might dstroy the piston and cylinder and all. The OEM is very expensive here. might as well call it $300 by the time you get a new pin and bearing. The baileys prices are hard to beat. I dont know if they carry a aftermarket kit for the 064.
jason

Back