considering a new Morbark 8d ( 8" chipper )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion of getting a bigger 12" chipper wasn't so much so that he could chip up to 12" but rather, so he wouldn't have to trim crotches so much. A small infeed will mean more 'babysitting' of the chipper and more cutting. Over time, that lost time equates to less income so long as work is stacked up behind you. If time is on your hands, then a few more hours a week spend trimming stuff smaller and babysitting a small chipper probably won't matter much. How busy Miller's business is, only Miller can answer. But, as the saying goes, 'time is money'...

AP

Bigger chipper is always better.Too many reasons to list!

I agree the bigger chippers work faster, but they also cost more and I've always tried to keep my payments to a minimum. I think a lot of people overextend themselves....which, in an up an down business like ours can lead to disaster. If you got the cash go and buy the best, but otherwise starting within your means makes the most sense to me.

I agree the bigger chippers work faster, but they also cost more and I've always tried to keep my payments to a minimum. I think a lot of people overextend themselves....which, in an up an down business like ours can lead to disaster. If you got the cash go and buy the best, but otherwise starting within your means makes the most sense to me.
Then on the other hand if you are going to be paying for it get something really good that will last or you will be buying another one anyway later!

You sound like a dealer! That's exactly what he said when I told him I couldn't afford to buy the one he was selling...He just couldn't wrap his head around that concept...

You sound like a dealer! That's exactly what he said when I told him I couldn't afford to buy the one he was selling...He just couldn't wrap his head around that concept...

Go and work with a big chipper for a day and tell me you would be happy with a smaller one I have had both small and big and I can tell you nothing beats getting rid of big knotted pieces or garbage wood . We dont need to pay to dump any wood it all gets chipped! BTW I aint no dealer. Can you afford not to have a really good big chipper? If I had to use a small chipper I would hate it.

Last edited:
6G-pLTwYml8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G-pLTwYml8

Very Impressive, I'm jealous. But like I kept repeating to the dealer:
I CAN'T AFFORD IT! I'd love to drive a ferrari too...but....

Just taking the vermeers into consideration for example, the 1000s, used, are mid to upper teens, and the 1400s are upper teens to low twenties, in general.

When you spread the difference across a payment plan, and take into consideration that the 1400 is two to three times the chipper, the decision is clear.

How can you afford a smaller one?

Last edited:
I bought this 1999 vermeer 1800 (18") for $12500. Had 2000 hours on it and in pretty good mechanical condition overall. By the time I had it shipped to me and a few mechanical items fixed up, new blades put on it, etc, I had about $14k stuck into it. With the recent refurb job that included straightening out dents, new paint, decals and graphics, I now have about $16,500 into it. It runs and looks almost as good as a $45k new one for about 1/3 the price.

Good deals on larger machines are out there if you look. And, the maintenance on a bigger machine is not so much more than that of a smaller one though, you do need a larger chip truck to accomodate the extra weight and increased productivity.

AP

Miller,

if a 6-9" chipper is all that you want for now, I'd consider a drum whisper chipper with ford 300. You can find those for $3-6k depending on condition. Safety is a factor but I operated one for years without incident. You just have to use common sense. They're fast and easy to maintain - and perfect for someone who is keeping logs for firewood and just wants to get rid of brush.

If I was going to go with a disk chipper for safety, better quality chip and increased chipping capacity, I would definitely jump to a 12" machine. You can find used bandit 200s or vermeer 1250s, 1230As and probably some morbarks in the $7-12k range. I've operated 6" disk chippers and they do the job but are slow, slow, slow...

18" machines are $12k and up. Overkill on small prune jobs but, holy cow, do they make cleanup FAST!

As I said in an earlier post, it all comes down to how much time you have on your hands as time is money.

I bought this 1999 vermeer 1800 (18") for $12500. Had 2000 hours on it and in pretty good mechanical condition overall. By the time I had it shipped to me and a few mechanical items fixed up, new blades put on it, etc, I had about $14k stuck into it. With the recent refurb job that included straightening out dents, new paint, decals and graphics, I now have about $16,500 into it. It runs and looks almost as good as a $45k new one for about 1/3 the price.

Good deals on larger machines are out there if you look. And, the maintenance on a bigger machine is not so much more than that of a smaller one though, you do need a larger chip truck to accomodate the extra weight and increased productivity.

AP

Outstanding work! Nice unit.

Latest posts

Back