Considering hiring a firewood processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a stack of good, straight, 12-24 inch logs up to 30 ft long that I want turned into firewood. I am considering hiring someone with a mobile processor to come to my place, saw and split about 10 cords (est). I am in central Illinois, are there any mobile units in the area that would be interested in the work? I can handle the logs and there is plenty of room to work in.

Bob

IMG_20101014_165546.jpg

IMG_20101014_165600.jpg

IMG_20101014_160041.jpg

Can't help you with the processor part but just wanted to pass along....I like your setup. Is the Ford a 7.3L?

Yes the truck has the old powerstroke 7.3 engine. A load like this makes it work. Fortunately I do not have to haul very far and there are no scales around

The tractor is a Case 580SK with 4 in one bucket, 4WD, extendahoe, and a cab. It is a wonderful and capable piece of equipment.

Bob

Last edited:
I have considered that. It would be great to have a gang here. I have plenty of space, wood to cut, and a shop to keep everything going.

Campfire, a big pot of chili, maybe even a beer or two. Does not get much better than that!

Is there interest in such a GTG? I am not looking for free help, but hosting and meeting friends is another story.

Bob

Looks like somebody had a barber chair on the one log. Nice set up. For 10 cords I would put an ad on craigslist and hire a guy with a splitter to work it up for you. I bet it would be cheaper. If you were splitting bigger my super splitter would be done in less then 2 days.

Scott

Here is my stack and current setup. Works pretty well;

IMG_20101019_114406.jpg

IMG_20101019_114259.jpg

IMG_20101019_114243.jpg

Regarding the barberchair, guilty as charged. It was in a difficult location and the wind was against me. I cut my notch and wedged the felling cut but could not overcome the wind. Even tried to time it with a lull in the breeze. No luck . Back it went. Hate that when it happens.

I can certainly get the project done on my own over time. Always looking for a more efficient way. Besides my back warns me to watch the lifting these days.

Bob

Have you ever tried bore cutting when a tree is like that. I do it now and then but not very often. It works. The only good thing about a chair(after it's down and nobody got hurt) is the log is already half split. I like small tractor setup for the elevator. Your setup looks nice.

Scott

Conveyor and splitter

With the set up you have and the ammount of wood you have you should be able to do it yourself. And would you happen to have better pictures of the conveyor and the splitter.

I know I'm a bit of a newbie here, but by the time someone gets set up, they wouldn't be there long with a processor. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

A couple of days with a good saw would have that cut up. :)

Heck, with that grapple bucket, no way it'd be 2 days. Pick up a log and have a chainsaw on both ends lopping rounds off. I'd say it would be diced up in 2 hours, 3 max. Now splitting, that might take awhile depending on the cycle time of the splitter. The elevator carrying the pieces away would be a great help. I've never had the luxury. My splitter has about a 6 second cycle time.

Ian

Heck, with that grapple bucket, no way it'd be 2 days. Pick up a log and have a chainsaw on both ends lopping rounds off. I'd say it would be diced up in 2 hours, 3 max. Now splitting, that might take awhile depending on the cycle time of the splitter. The elevator carrying the pieces away would be a great help. I've never had the luxury. My splitter has about a 6 second cycle time.

Ian

I meant split ,stacked and all.

There was a guy in the thumb of Michigan that had one, but I think he was doing something like 50+ cords a day. The machine ran off a Cat bulldozer engine. There would be a travel and set up charge that would not make it worth it I think. Maybe a smaller operation is near you.

Wonder what the charge would be for a job like that... :monkey: even a smaller machine, lets say its an 8 hour day, pushing out 10 cords cut and split with a processor. $400? $800? Interesting to find out.

There was a guy in the thumb of Michigan that had one, but I think he was doing something like 50+ cords a day. The machine ran off a Cat bulldozer engine. There would be a travel and set up charge that would not make it worth it I think. Maybe a smaller operation is near you.

Wonder what the charge would be for a job like that... :monkey: even a smaller machine, lets say its an 8 hour day, pushing out 10 cords cut and split with a processor. $400? $800? Interesting to find out.

:agree2: to line up a processer you would need to have more than 10 cord.

Look at the sire of some of those logs. You won;t find a small processor that will handle them. Cheapest route is a guy with a splitter. But like you I would like to know what a processor costs.

Scott

If you were down around 64, I might have been able to come out this weekend and give you a hand. My wife is going to her class reunion and will be staying in Belleville this weekend. I'm staying home, but if you were a little closer to the main route, I could have been convinced to tag along and bring the splitter.

Oh well,
Ian

Thanks for the offers and comments. I can whittle away at the project. I was looking to see if hiring or renting a processor would be a economical alternative. Searching on Craigslist has come up empty so far.

My splitter is pretty efficient. Combined with the conveyor, material handling goes well. I just need to hire some illegal aliens to cue the wood to me at the splitter and stack! That is when my back talks to me and warns me not to over do it. As long as I take it slow and easy, it goes smoothly and fairly pain free.

Holding the log up and cutting to length right at the splitter works well. I try to keep the wood clean too. Dirt in the bark takes a toll on chains.

Although next weekend is out for me, nearly every one after that is open. If there is an interest in a mini GTG we could make a party out of it.

Bob

I live in pontiac IL. Have a tw7 with a 6 way wedge and a ms 660. Shouldn't take long tomow through those. If you need a little help let me know. Not sure how far you are from me.

Back