Consulting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am getting ready to take my certification test. I just sent away for my memebership in the isa. I looked in the phone book and there are only two arborist listed. One of them is a consulting arborist. What exactly is a consulting arborist?

Dont want to offend anyone but there a pen pusher, well - a key puncher who writes tree reports, hazard tree analysis, tree surveys, tree management reports, expert witness in court cases, works with tree on developments, organizes, audits etc etc

They earn good money though!

Talk to JP

TreeMike said:
...What exactly is a consulting arborist?

1. An arborist who consults (Seriously, that's ASCA's definition).

2. Whatever he/she wants to be be be. Some consult <10% of their working time, others much more.

3. One who provides diagnostic, appraisal, evaluation, expert witness or other arboricultural services. the key is communication, being able to report what you see in the tree.

Anyone can advertise as a consulting arborist; after all, all arborists consult with their coworkers or customers or forum mates.
Smart on you to look in the phone book under "Arborist"; you can list with the cream even if you're straight out of the cow's teat. After you land in the bucket your highest angels will rise and be skimmed from the brim. Just swim, Jim, turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.
After listeningwatching the old Dylan on tv I'm talkin ponderous profundities.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It appears you have to have a 4 year degree to join. That counts me out I only have 3 years of college.

watch PBS tonight for more of their series on music from the '60's; last night's show on Dylan gave me a wild flashback. :cool:

xtreme without a degree in a green field (I don't have one either), you can join ASCA with a lot of other educational experience. I don't recommend that anyone join ASCa unless a majority of your work is consulting. Dues are a killer, ~$1/day.

You can certainly consult on trees without all that; shoot, I see opinions offered by guys who cut the grass, often with bad results.

You know what you know; no law against sharing that.

Latest posts

Back