Controlled free-fall (vertical speedline)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stood at about 50ft and totally shot at tension side of the butt, we weren’t so much worried about the ground impact of the falling logs....more them flying into the fencing there after. Plus the tree was a leaner so I didn’t fancy trying to wrestle back the logs up top while further hoping they’d stay put upon landing, hence the VsL
The lowering device was in place to make it easy to tie/tension and untie the rigging line....although I would have much preferred a redirect but there was nothing near to otherwise anchor the lowering device to.

The Stein 2000 LD is built tough, but I was still a little concerned about its attachment-sling getting wacked by a log; thankfully we got away with it this time.
I used two tennex slings to tie off each log which were linked to the rigging line by a D-shackle.

The orange ratchet strap set at the base of the tree was to stop the shackle hitting the Lowering device.

The last 15 ft was absolutely riddled with metal, the worst I’ve ever had to deal with.

Just a short vid this one. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aojgo83VXrA

Nice job Reg I have learned a tremendous amount from watching your vids. We just used this technique the other day when my wife did not hahe enough wraps on the porty and her hands got a little hot. Chunk still landed on the pile no damage just a little quicker than I planned.:jawdrop:

I may be mistaken but have you been working out? Sorry to hear about all them chains getting beat up. Was that some kind of mullberry?

Latest posts

Back