convert longwood forced air chamber to heat water for pex radiant floor heat in slab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this one .

furnace%20009.jpg

Closer to the original question (I think) .

Free Hot Water wood stove furnace Wind power home Solar power how

That's what I was looking at doing I can sweat 3/4 copper to fit in heat box above fire will I need a certain grade of copper will it neeed to ber silverr sod

why not put a large radiator (out of a large dumptruck or something) in the plenum? I don't think that with a copper tube setup you will be able to get enough of the heat into the water. On a side note, are you telling us you have 1800' continous run of pex in the floor? If that is the case the water will be stone cold by the time it get's back to the system. Hopefully you have a manifold and different runs. Is the wood hot air furnace going to be in the shop? If yes, at least you will get heat from it while it's going, use the preheated water to go to the storage tank, then through the floor.
good luck and post up some pictures.

That's what I was looking at doing I can sweat 3/4 copper to fit in heat box above fire will I need a certain grade of copper will it neeed to ber silverr sod

I'm sure regular solder will work because this setup is is in the plenum so your temps aren't the same as in a firebox .
You can boil water in a plastic bottle without melting the bottle over an open flame as long as you don't run out of water .
I wonder if a heat exchanger would work to heat up water ?

air2air.jpg

From Wood Doctor Water to Air Exchangers

why not put a large radiator (out of a large dumptruck or something) in the plenum? I don't think that with a copper tube setup you will be able to get enough of the heat into the water. On a side note, are you telling us you have 1800' continous run of pex in the floor? If that is the case the water will be stone cold by the time it get's back to the system. Hopefully you have a manifold and different runs. Is the wood hot air furnace going to be in the shop? If yes, at least you will get heat from it while it's going, use the preheated water to go to the storage tank, then through the floor.
good luck and post up some pictures.

6 300ft runs 1200 in living area and 600 in garage all 5/8 pex Ill get pics sun when I'm there it worked well with 80 gal HWH last winter just to much money for elect thanks for input guys

I don't know the size of your wood unit but maybe you could put two or more radiators (heat exchangers) in the plenum?

Plenum is 5ft long 2ft wide this is the size of area also directly above wood furnace fire box {heatexchanger} ive recorded temps around 700F in this are there is a thermostat that turns fan on when it reaches certain temp to force air threw duct work thinking about taking fan out and insulating above this box question is will pumping water threw a rack of 3/4 inch copper lines take enough temp out of this box like fan did with forced air if so I can fit a rack of copper lines inside this area or if heatexchangers will have more thermal conductivity might be better will check cost

I don't know the size of your wood unit but maybe you could put two or more radiators (heat exchangers) in the plenum?

Longwood furnace is 130000 btu I might need some help on what it takes to post pics on this sight Thanks I really do need help from anyone on getting my pic from email to this sight

Last edited:
I personally can't help you with the design, but I am sure some of the wood boiler guys here will chime in soon. Welcome to the site. We like pics! To get the ball rolling, post pics of what ya got!

Got pics on email dont know how to put them up on sight can ya help me out

Back