Converting a Stihl 038 AV to MAG plus a few Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian farm boy

Stihl learning
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. (Please be easy on me). I recently acquired a Brasil made stihl 038 av super electronic. The saw was in rough shape and didn't run. Upon some investigating I found that the piston and cylinder were shot. I've done a lot of research and decided to put mag top end kit on. I was planning on running a 28" bar with 3/8 semi chisel chain and a 7 tooth sprocket.
I have already done a muffler mod to the saw by adding a third outlet port.
I was planning on not using the cylinder base gasket to help get a little more squish and possibly more torque.
I was also going to open up the exhaust port by carefully widening it a few thou. and open it up as much as I can from the port opening in the cylinder out to outlet at the muffler and polish it.
Gasket match the muffler to the cylinder.
I wasn't planning on doing much to the intake port other then remove the casting flaws. Going to leave the intake port a little rough to help with the fuel transfer into the case.
I'm planning to try and do the same thing to the transfer tubes that I do to the intake port.
Is there anything else I can do to help turn this saw into a real beast?
Stihl chainsaw gurus and professors please help?

I know this topic has been beat to death but I just want some insight and tips about my own build. Please help?...

I'm sure there have been AS members who have posts on the 038AV . This Stihl has a reputation as one tough saw. Look into the archives, I bet your search will produce info. The 038 Magnum is a very collectible ($$) saw.

Back