Converting Echo Cs-590 From Spur to Rim Sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodeneye

Hardwood Hunter
Reaction score
Hello all,
Recently aquired a cs-590 Echo and I'd like to change it from spur sprocket to rim sprocket. Anything I should know? If you could provide part numbers needed it would be very helpful. I need to slap a 24" bar on it for a bigger tree and would love any advice.
Thanks,
Jarod

as for the larger bar.....echo uses D176 mount which is a little uncommon and only available from Oregon/Echo. It also uses 81DL instead of the more standard 84DL. If you want to make the switch to bars with standard DL counts you could buy a bar adapter http://performanceoutdoorequipment.com/products/echod176-to-stihl and start using stihl mount bars on it. Bars would be more common and easily accesable along with replacement chains.

I have fitted the large mount Husqvarna bars to my CS-590 and 600P and everything looks OK except for the oil hole. I'm certain they will work with at most a slight modification to the oil hole. I'll look into it more when I wear out the bars they came with, as 70DL 20" chains are not nearly as common as 72DL's in these parts.

As far as the clutch sprocket, for sure wear the one the CS-590 came with out first, then look at upgrading to the 600P/620 set-up. It's direct replacement from what I can tell in the IPL's, but only an advantage if you are really cutting a LOT of wood and wearing out sprockets in short order........Cliff

Well, we'll see how the stock sprocket wears, then after cutting down about 20 massive cottonwoods, I'll look into it

Thanks Cliff and BGE, Nats is gonna hook me up with a bar adapter. That plus what comes stock, I should be set

Old thread here, but my CS-590 spur drum is getting worn and I want to replace it with a rim drive. The Echo part is pretty expensive, and I'm wondering if anyone has had luck sourcing an aftermarket replacement from Oregon, or of similar quality. I see Fordf150 indicates "oem only" above, but maybe something else has come along recently, especially given how popular this saw seems to be?

At SEWP a clutch drum and rim sprocket cost about $63, I'[d go that way if wearing out a lot of clutch drums. Steve

Yeah, that may be the only way to go, but I'm seeing Oregon models for other Echo saws at less than half that price. So why not the Timberwolf? Or is it that the lists of compatible saws just take forever to get updated?

Old thread here, but my CS-590 spur drum is getting worn and I want to replace it with a rim drive. The Echo part is pretty expensive, and I'm wondering if anyone has had luck sourcing an aftermarket replacement from Oregon, or of similar quality. I see Fordf150 indicates "oem only" above, but maybe something else has come along recently, especially given how popular this saw seems to be?
nothing aftermarket has come along that i am aware of. just double checked the 2017 oregon catalog and there is nothing available there

I did the Spur to Rim on my ms290. Super simple and not at all expensive. But in all honesty, there is zero difference. If you can't do this on the cheap, or you got money burning a hole in your pocket, this R&R can be skipped.

My clutch is off for an oiler repair . My spurgear is starting to wear pretty hard. I was wondering if any of the Stihl ones might be the same size. They sell at the shop by me for about 15$ ish

Back