Convince me that a hard hat is necessary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hit my head so often I dont know how I managed before wearing lids.

Q for you guys, related but not related

In ww1 medical personal found that as helmets were being worn more by soldiers, the injury rate of troops actually propotionally increased.

Why?

They took more risks or acted carelessly due to perceived invulnerability?

I thought it had something to do with chin straps being worn when a shell exploded close by. I heard the concussion of the shell would try to pull the helmet off and the strap would try to keep it on the head. Not sure if its true or not but I dont think I'd want to find out first hand either.

Because instead of being DEAD, they were injured.

Good work! thats right, shrapnel injuries increased as guys were less likely to be dying from headwounds cause by "minor" shrapnel, especially airburst if on the attack or entrenched. My grandfather lost a buddy who was training soldiers in grenade practice. One guy paniced and dropped the grenade on the ground. My grandfathers mate put his helmet ontop of the grenade and stood on it. It killed him but nobody else in the trench was.

Convinced you should wear a helmet yet?

Last edited:
Getting the heck outta dodge was his strategy for protecting his head.

Hi,

I've had a branch fall and hit from high above. I was in an area that had been worked several weeks beforehand, we were just tidying up and stacking the logs when without any warning a branch fell from high up in the tree I was standing near to. I saw stars for a minute or two but no damage to me otherwise. Bought a new helmet though just to be on the safe side.

Bye

Sometimes I did, some times I didn't

But recently, doing crane work, the dead elm was susspended, and it spun and a peice of deadwood hit the cable and snapped. My partner wasn't wearing a hardhat, and he ran. With my muffs on I could hear the heads up, and was holding the but log where it needed to be with my left arm, and my saw unrunnin in my right hand, and the branch came down, hit me in the forearm and broke, but left me with a great rug burn type scrape and bruise..Needless to say if it hit me in the head which is all skull and skin, it would beed bad....I pride myself on never having stitches in my life, and its all about paying attention and wearing PPE....I am a hipocrit in terms I don't wear chaps or a face sheild on my helmet, but I wear it regardless, and its hellped HUGE....I don't see a reason not to, I got the Husky one with the Muffs, so your saving your hearing and protecting your head...I worked with many guys who don't even wear ear plugs and are only in their 30's and 40's. and it makes me wear em more cuz they are def as ####, so long and short, PPE is there for a reason. It sucks, its uncomfartable, but so is stitches and defness.

But recently, doing crane work, the dead elm was suspended, and it spun and a piece of deadwood hit the cable and snapped. My partner wasn't wearing a hardhat, and he ran. With my muffs on I could hear the heads up, and was holding the but log where it needed to be with my left arm, and my saw dunrunnin in my right hand, and the branch came down, hit me in the forearm and broke, but left me with a great rug burn type scrape and bruise..Needless to say if it hit me in the head which is all skull and skin, it would be bad....I pride myself on never having stitches in my life, and its all about paying attention and wearing PPE....I am a hypocrite in terms I don't wear chaps or a face shield on my helmet, but I wear it regardless, and its hellped HUGE....I don't see a reason not to, I got the Husky one with the Muffs, so your saving your hearing and protecting your head...I worked with many guys who don't even wear ear plugs and are only in their 30's and 40's. and it makes me wear em more cuz they are def as ####, so long and short, PPE is there for a reason. It sucks, its uncomfortable, but so is stitches and defness.
I'm glad to here that you are alright. I wish one day that I was wearing a helmet with a face shield, that way I would not be missing my Upper 4 front teeth, because of a sprung limb came up and hit me in the mouth. I probably would have a broken nose out of the deal, or a fat lip, but would still have my teeth. Bruce.

But recently, doing crane work, the dead elm was suspended, and it spun and a piece of deadwood hit the cable and snapped. My partner wasn't wearing a hardhat, and he ran. With my muffs on I could hear the heads up, and was holding the but log where it needed to be with my left arm, and my saw dunrunnin in my right hand, and the branch came down, hit me in the forearm and broke, but left me with a great rug burn type scrape and bruise..Needless to say if it hit me in the head which is all skull and skin, it would be bad....I pride myself on never having stitches in my life, and its all about paying attention and wearing PPE....I am a hypocrite in terms I don't wear chaps or a face shield on my helmet, but I wear it regardless, and its hellped HUGE....I don't see a reason not to, I got the Husky one with the Muffs, so your saving your hearing and protecting your head...I worked with many guys who don't even wear ear plugs and are only in their 30's and 40's. and it makes me wear em more cuz they are def as ####, so long and short, PPE is there for a reason. It sucks, its uncomfortable, but so is stitches and defness.
I don't know if I welcomed you to AS or not, But welcome to AS. You will have lots of fun here on this Web Site. When I joined here I had only 5 Chain Saws. Since May 31st, my collection has grew drastically, because of here, and eBay. Bruce.

Well today I proved to myself that wearing my helmet is definatly nessesary, probably saved my scalp today...thanks to the Petzl Vertex Vent I was wearing while up in the tree. Was blowing a top out of a sliver maple and my ground guy wasnt paying attention for some reason or another, gust of wind game and it popped back at me as I was making my back cut, luckily i was tied in and as soon as i realized it wasnt going i started to repell down and was down just far enough to where the butt end of the top grazed the back top of my lid. Gave my ground guy a rash of h*ll when I got down for letting it go over on me. It wasnt a big top probably about 6 inches in diamiter but was enough to where if i didnt have my lid on, Id probably have a nice gash and be missing a bit of hair on my head. So never again will I climb without it, im pretty religious when it comes to my PPE, always wear the full 9 yards of it, especially the helmet...its cheap protection for your dome, and i really dont mind wearing it....actually I think its pretty comfortable. The job is dangerous enough, a lid might give you a bit more to beat the odds of getting hurt on the job....climb high and climb safe

James

James.
GLAD to hear that you are OK. It takes something like this to happen to realize that if you didn't have it on, what Could have happened otherwise.
Since I bought mine 6 years ago, I wear mine all the time while Cutting. It does not matter if it is with a Chain Saw, or the Buss Saw. I even started wearing it while using my Radial Arm Saw, while ripping. Keeps the Bigger Chips from hitting my face, but still doesn't stop the Fine Dust to get through the screen.
Bruce.

Back