cool and/or unusual trees from connoiseurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Let's talk about some neat trees you, as an arborist, like to plant, climb, maintain, look at....(flowers, fruit, leaves, structure, bark, resilience,....)

Let's see some pictures and hear why you like them/it. Short paragraph or 2 to keep interest.

Yesterday I am evaluating a property and one tree in the middle, short and stocky with some cables and rods struck my attention. Just could not get it. Took a couple of samples and found it to be a...

Nannyberry or Raisin tree wherein the fruit shrivels up like a raisin and are edible but the seed is the obstacle but birds and animals love it. Will get a pict later as I get the job after memorial day.

I've always liked dogwood:

attachment.php

I like the bark, flowers and branch structure. I didn't work on this tree, I just saw it and took a pic.

Not an arborist

I do work in the great outdoors as a surveyor and love working in a forest, as long as there is not too much underbrush. This tree is relatively rare and grows in the woods on my property here in NC. Can you tell what it is by these pictures?

fringetree.jpg

h
oldmansbeard.jpg

I do work in the great outdoors as a surveyor and love working in a forest, as long as there is not too much underbrush. This tree is relatively rare and grows in the woods on my property here in NC. Can you tell what it is by these pictures?

fringetree.jpg

h
oldmansbeard.jpg

American Chestnut? What part of NC?

It's not an American Chestnut. I live in the southern part of NC, but this tree can be found most anywhere as it can grow in zones 3-9, and can survive -30 degrees.

Chionanthus virginicus, Fringe Tree

On my wish list. :)

Sylvia

Treevet, Nannyberry is a common name for Viburnum lentago, which does have fruit, a drupe that turns blue/black. This is a large shrub/small tree generally under 25' tall.

The Raisin Tree is a common name for Hovenia dulcis, a tree native to China. According to one source: "This tree became available for Western gardeners in the early 1800's, but few people grow this ornamental tree, and almost nobody outside Asia has ever eaten the fruit."

I will be very interested to see pictures of your tree to see exactly which one we are talking about. :cheers:

Sylvia

Last edited:
Mike C., STUNNING Dogwood! Thanks for sharing!!

Sylvia

It is a fringe tree, also called an Old Man's beard tree. It is a small tree similar to the dogwood in the family Oleaceae, and blooms after the dogwoods are over. the blooms are slightly fragrant.

Pruned a decent size Katsura tree (not weeping) today. Had a lot of deadwood but cleaned up pretty good. They have a strange feel to them....kinda like a Ginkgo. I have tried planting maybe a half dozen of them in my yard and other people's yards and all have succumbed to lack of sufficient moisture, pushed beyond permanent wilting point.

They are such a cool tree I really wanted them to work. My neighbor's also died and was starting to be quite sizable. I have planted a weeping Katsura, a standard upright and a upright purple foliage species on my own property. All kaput.

I once went to our arboretum at Spring Grove for a ride on my motorcycle and saw this giant weeping specimen (national champ I think....they have many there) and I was so curious what was inside the shower curtain like foliage I stopped and walked over to it and spread the foliage to the ground maybe the size of a tennis court.

Inside was a momma dear and 3 babies hiding in broad daylight. Very mystical feeling.

I'm particularly fond of Cornus alternifolia, pagoda dogwood. An understory tree, it's zone 3 hardy, pollinators love it, and the birds chow on the fruits.

Wouldn't be living without a Kousa. I keep getting pitched off the mower by this one low limb but I ain't gonna cut it off.

Back