cool and/or unusual trees from connoiseurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would be interesting to look at Rope but it would girdle itself.

Yup I have seen some out in the mountains that were tied I think for markers they were dead but fairly aged. PS: with all the trees from the south your trying to establish in your yard why not just move yer arse down here lmfao:cheers:

wonder why it is just suckering off one side? We can learn a lot from trees in juvenile stages.

This linden I have been nurturing for 6 years now. The first year it turned brown in the summer and every year just a little later despite my religious watering vigil and protecting the stem. If it was the city caring for it (it is in city space but I bought and planted it) it would have died the first year.

This year it appears to finally be established. My lawn service will be shot on site if they even graze the trunk and they know it.
attachment.php

This A. elm disease resistant cultivar on the other side of my drive from the linden was planted just 3 years ago. It is an EXTREMELY fast growing tree and it 10 to 15 feet taller than the linden despite going in at the same size 3 years later. I have been planting them all over town and have not lost one yet.....instant shade. I love these trees....Valley Forge I believe.
attachment.php

gotta go to work ...my gm back from the dump

Last edited:
I planted a Bracken Brown Beauty about 4 years ago at my house. That tree is pitifully slow growing. It is still a spindly 5' tall.

It only has about 30 leaves on it, and it still hasn't recovered from the winter damage. It is only starting to grow new leaves.

Despite claims that they survive further north, don't count on a great tree in zone 5-6.

I don't have any other pictures of that fence. I bought it from a local place that uses 100 year old equipment to make the split rails. The neatest part is that you don't have to sink the posts in the ground as there is a flange with rebar attached to the bottom of the end posts (the end posts look lick short ladders) and you just sink the rebar flush to the ground. Of course, it's not for livestock, but it's very quick to install.

Ah OK, I've seen a couple that look like that but the rails are wired in place, I just don't like the idea of wires sticking out or rusting/falling off later. I'll figure something out.

Also got a Redtwig Dogwood from a customer I just planted who had too many suckers coming up. Was sitting in a pot for a year, getting dried out, run over from the truck and plowed over this winter. I figure it must be good enough to plant to make it through all of that! It gets a cool yellowish pink color in the spring that's very bright, not sure which one it is but it also gets about 10 ft.tall. Just dropped her off some Lenten Roses in trade the other day since I have too many growing like crazy.

I planted a Bracken Brown Beauty about 4 years ago at my house. That tree is pitifully slow growing. It is still a spindly 5' tall.

It only has about 30 leaves on it, and it still hasn't recovered from the winter damage. It is only starting to grow new leaves.

Despite claims that they survive further north, don't count on a great tree in zone 5-6.

according to Dirr's map we are in zone 6 but get temps that equate to zone 5. If that is true your claim is not accurate as I have planted over a hundred of them, many facing north and exposed and have yet to lose one. A one tree example on your part is not very scientific you must admit.

All mine are thriving and full and beautiful (6 in my own yard).

They may have sold you an imposter or a genetically weak specimen. I have seen Little Gems sold as Brown Beauties in nurseries.

Over the last couple of months is when they look very sickly but now are getting shiny and vivid dark green.

They are a semi dwarf that will peak around 20 in my experience. Perfect for screening, perfect for foundation planting.

Ah OK, I've seen a couple that look like that but the rails are wired in place, I just don't like the idea of wires sticking out or rusting/falling off later. I'll figure something out.

Also got a Redtwig Dogwood from a customer I just planted who had too many suckers coming up. Was sitting in a pot for a year, getting dried out, run over from the truck and plowed over this winter. I figure it must be good enough to plant to make it through all of that! It gets a cool yellowish pink color in the spring that's very bright, not sure which one it is but it also gets about 10 ft.tall. Just dropped her off some Lenten Roses in trade the other day since I have too many growing like crazy.

The reason the ends look like little ladders is to accommodate the rails. The ends of the rails are faced so that that fit one on top of the other and could be pinned into place if rigidity was required.

where do i start

I like to many for to many reasons but just a taste, flower i really like the kwanza (spelling?) Flowering cherry weeping or not, might call me crazy but i really like to prune northern pin oaks for the stuctrure is nice and they so pretty when im done, just love to climb old white oaks in my area for there size and canopy, Blue spruce is a great good looking tree too.....way in the back yard, also like the bald cypress and blue atlas ceder

honey locust, river birch, jap. maple and crimson king maples to name a few more....

o plus i love to cut down bradford pears and crab apples

ha I think hawthorne is a pretty tree also....

Nice choices and, yes, you can really make a dramatic effect on Quercus palustris pin oak. Sometimes it helps to prune on the way up and then prune some more coming back down so you don't get all jammed up just pruning on the downward route.

They are a bit unusual in that the upper canopy is ascending and the lower canopy is cascading. Very prone to iron chlorosis around here and hard to correct that on a permanent basis.

here is a Kousa taken last week on my friend's property

attachment.php

Thanks for the pic!

I like the flowers of a kousa better than a flowering dogwood but I like the structure of a flowering dogwood better.

I almost forgot that I planted a kousa out at my Dad's about 9 yrs ago. I'll get a pic sometime.

Looks a little ravaged by a chainsaw, too.:laugh:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They paid $10 k for that chainsaw sculpture (after their house was flattened by one of the leads). Every other tree service wanted to prune at the base.:chainsawguy:

One of the weirdest trees I set eyes on was in West Texas and this older gentleman seen me looking at this tree. He came outside and I was telling him I would have to trim it for power. I asked what kind of pecan is it? He had grafted many species of pecan into this tree over the years and it had different wood, flowers fruit and leaves all in the same tree. It even had limbs that changed from pecan to hickory :dizzy:

One of the weirdest trees I set eyes on was in West Texas and this older gentleman seen me looking at this tree. He came outside and I was telling him I would have to trim it for power. I asked what kind of pecan is it? He had grafted many species of pecan into this tree over the years and it had different wood, flowers fruit and leaves all in the same tree. It even had limbs that changed from pecan to hickory :dizzy:

Pecan is a member of the hickory family Rope.....Genus Carya. I think it lends itself to something such as that and like I said, I plan to attach a Mockernut and a Pignut hickory I planted together to form something unique when they get a little larger. They are growing extremely fast but the wood is very strong and at the same time flexible.

Back