Coolest or rarest wood you have milled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KarlD

KarlD

ArboristSite Guru
It’s nothing I’ve milled or even cut down, but it’s a very rare timber.

I grew up in Malawi, lived there for my first 12 years. Whilst there my parents had some boxes made for assorted items, including a box to hold a mahjong set and I made a cribbage board. The timber used was unique to one mountain, Mulanje Mountain, and found nowhere else in the world. Or so I believed growing up. The timber in question = Widdringtonia whytei, commonly known as Mulanje cedarwood, but renamed “Mulanje cypress” by the University of the Witwatersrand.

Visually it doesn’t stand out much but the aroma is AMAZING; the 35 year old boxes still retain the smell.

Another interesting (to me at least) and related snippet is that I now live on the Isle of Wight, where a few years ago I was doing some ground clearance around an old property. I was cutting through some old footbridge timbers when I caught a whiff of the above mentioned aroma. Boy did that bring back some strong memories! Saw was stopped and I pulled out the timber I had just cut into.

It was about 12ft long and gently curved, about 4” x 4” at both ends increasing in a handmade manner to 8” x 4” in the middle and it had within it several old handmade nails. We all decided it was probably something that came off a mast, towards the top...and that the ship had been wrecked off the Isle of Wight and washed up timbers repurposed.

When I explained to the customer about the rarity of the timber he decided he should look after it but he did let me keep the little piece that I almost cut off, which released the aroma and alerted me to its nature.

That little block (that’s about 1ft long) is in the truck and I use it to hold the bar up when I sharpen my chains on site.

Whenever I do I smell Malawi and my youth.

Herman the German

Herman the German

ArboristSite Operative
It’s nothing I’ve milled or even cut down, but it’s a very rare timber.

I grew up in Malawi, lived there for my first 12 years. Whilst there my parents had some boxes made for assorted items, including a box to hold a mahjong set and I made a cribbage board. The timber used was unique to one mountain, Mulanje Mountain, and found nowhere else in the world. Or so I believed growing up. The timber in question = Widdringtonia whytei, commonly known as Mulanje cedarwood, but renamed “Mulanje cypress” by the University of the Witwatersrand.

Visually it doesn’t stand out much but the aroma is AMAZING; the 35 year old boxes still retain the smell.

Another interesting (to me at least) and related snippet is that I now live on the Isle of Wight, where a few years ago I was doing some ground clearance around an old property. I was cutting through some old footbridge timbers when I caught a whiff of the above mentioned aroma. Boy did that bring back some strong memories! Saw was stopped and I pulled out the timber I had just cut into.

It was about 12ft long and gently curved, about 4” x 4” at both ends increasing in a handmade manner to 8” x 4” in the middle and it had within it several old handmade nails. We all decided it was probably something that came off a mast, towards the top...and that the ship had been wrecked off the Isle of Wight and washed up timbers repurposed.

When I explained to the customer about the rarity of the timber he decided he should look after it but he did let me keep the little piece that I almost cut off, which released the aroma and alerted me to its nature.

That little block (that’s about 1ft long) is in the truck and I use it to hold the bar up when I sharpen my chains on site.

Whenever I do I smell Malawi and my youth.
That's a super cool post. Being reminded of great times in your past is always great.