Copper Beech, phase 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikko

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ran about 100 lineal feet of 30" wide beech today (3" thick). All saws ran great and the 2100 pulled hard all day long...

Nice pics, looks like lots of fun for everyone, and plenty of milling going on. Thanks for sharing.:clap: :clap:

Nice work and great photos. Are you just going to air dry your stack?

We're looking for a kiln, but with only 1000 - 1200 bd ft it's a bit tough. Going to step up the search next week though. all the ends are painted now, and the stack's covered and pretty much out of the sun so it should be ok for a week or so.

Nikko

Fantastic stuff Nikko,

Thanks for sharing the pix. That was a big ole beech tree. Looks like beautiful wood. The 2100 is your main saw? What size is your mill a 36"? Looks like it does an awesome job.:cheers:

the 2100 is a saw I bought sight unseen and have been working on for almost a year now. For milling, it's my only saw! This tree was definitely it's toughest battle it's had, and it came through like a champ. I'm amazed at the power this thing has...

Bar's a 37" (120 dl) and the mill's a 48". I was thinking about cutting the mill down, but now I like having the extra length - it's a good place to hang a jug of bar oil when you're milling :)

The four of us have worked together several times and we work very well together. We all know what needs to be done, we can all do whatever's needed and we all want to work hard, but not stupid hard - it's a good mix that makes for good days.

Nikko

What a team looks like you guys know what your doing great pics and nice score wish we had some big ones like that around here!!

Nice work. Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Not sure we'll be able to find another tree like this one - would be nice though. All tolled we got 21 slabs @ 30" wide (or close to it) to total approximately 1200 bd ft. of Cooper Beech

If you include taking the tops off the logs, we made 23 full length cuts which works out to 195 lineal feet of milling in 30" beech. I went through 6 chain sharpenings (handy to have the grinder on-site!), almost 20 litres (5 gallons) of 50:1 mix (in my saw alone - man what a pig!) and a little over 1/2 gallon of bar oil. We burned up a 357XP and a 2100 clone (pumped up 285) , but Randy got the 2100 rebuilt and running sweet again in time for the second weekend.

If you consider the saw kerf was about 3/8", we turned about 15 cubic feet of wood into sawdust and of you assume 1 cubic foot of wood become 4 cubic feet of sawdust, we would have filled a full size pick up bed with the stuff, into a nicely rounded heap. At 4 lbs/bd ft we packed 4800 lbs of wood off the site by hand, one slab at a time, one guy on each corner, and that doesn't include the turning blanks we got.

Does it get any better?!?!?!?! :)

Nikko

Nice job, great bunch of pics... looks like you had a blast and got everybody involved. Yeah having a sharpener onsite would be great, but I usually just bring along several sharpened chains for my csm milling so I don't have to burn daylight sharpening when I can be milling.

VERY nice looking beech tree, lots of very nice slabs. Thanks for posting.

If you consider the saw kerf was about 3/8", we turned about 15 cubic feet of wood into sawdust and of you assume 1 cubic foot of wood become 4 cubic feet of sawdust, we would have filled a full size pick up bed with the stuff, into a nicely rounded heap. At 4 lbs/bd ft we packed 4800 lbs of wood off the site by hand, one slab at a time, one guy on each corner, and that doesn't include the turning blanks we got.

Does it get any better?!?!?!?! :)

Nikko

I will be visiting you're hood next week with my kids. I can't wait to see some of those monster trees.

Looking at these pictures I can't help but think how lucky you are to either own the property the tree is on or be close friends with the owner because if I even thought about milling for that long on-site with a saw wide open I would probably be hauled off in shackles and chains.

And no. It doesn't get any better!

I will be visiting you're hood next week with my kids. I can't wait to see some of those monster trees.

Looking at these pictures I can't help but think how lucky you are to either own the property the tree is on or be close friends with the owner because if I even thought about milling for that long on-site with a saw wide open I would probably be hauled off in shackles and chains.

And no. It doesn't get any better!

LOL!! Neither actually - I've got a once-removed connection with the arbourist and he'd MUCH rather me take that tree out of the back yard in pieces than pay his guys to do it!

It was a win-win situation - we were just lucky that we had the time to get the job done.

Nikko

We're pretty lucky in that the group of us seem to work extremely well together with minimal yakking and hand waving required. It's kinda nice to be able to go to a site like that, have able bodies with great attitudes and the equipment to do the job. It makes for some good productivity, but more important, good fun.

Nikko

Back