cord volume after splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will also grant that a load of unsplit long logs that are very crooked may have a lot more interstitial space in its total volume (wood + air) than a load of straight logs. If this is the case, then I can see how it's possible that the total volume after splitting could be smaller than the total volume before splitting.

Correct. However once cut into rounds and then split it will take up more space than the cut rounds. Still less than the uncut logs though.

Harry K

Correct. However once cut into rounds and then split it will take up more space than the cut rounds. Still less than the uncut logs though.

Harry K

Your last sentence is what really matters. Reality is most interested (in this type post) folks are asking about buying tree length (or 8's) and cutting and splitting. Will I have more or less? Usually slightly less or in a perfect world the same. The only time the rounds too splits would be of any interest is if you have storage space limitations? :cheers:

Your last sentence is what really matters. Reality is most interested (in this type post) folks are asking about buying tree length (or 8's) and cutting and splitting. Will I have more or less? Usually slightly less or in a perfect world the same. The only time the rounds too splits would be of any interest is if you have storage space limitations? :cheers:

Well...most of the posts at the beginning are about splitting rounds, not working up logs. It is really rather academic anyhow as you have the amount of wood you have at the end. It does lead to interesting discussion though.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back