Cordless Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if the new stuff is the same, but it used to be that you could buy Black & Decker batteries for half as much and trim a tab off to fit DeWalt. I switched to Bosch 10 or 12 years ago, and never looked back. I've drop tested one of them at least 10 or 12 times from up to 10 feet and 2 or 3 feet countless times, it's been caught in the rain, dropped in the mud, is almost always used in dusty areas, and that damn thing will just not die. Last summer I was using a 1/2 auger through railroad ties to drive rebar through building a wall, and it got so hot it started to smoke.......A LOT. I figured, well I finally killed the old girl, so I bought a new one. Well over a year later, and that damn thing is still plugging along. I now have 4 Bosch cordless drills - 3 of them are hammer drills and one a regular light duty drill. I really like their new Core batteries too, much smaller than the old ones for the same capacity, and the plastic is top notch. The after market batteries are junk. They crack if (when) you drop them and die after a year or so.

I build pole barns for a living and work on junk at night and have always been happy with Milwaukee and there warranty. Tools are good for five years. Every time I send one I get a new tool back. So far I have
M18
Fuel Surge 1/4 impact
Three fuel 1/4 impact
Two fuel hammer drills
Fuel super sawzall
Fuel hackzall
Multi tool
Fuel 4 1/2” grinder
Fuel high torque 1/2 and 3/8 impacts
Fuel 7 1/4” saw and 6 1/2” saw
Grease gun
4- 3 ah batteries
2- 4ah batteries
8- 5 ah batteries
1 -8 ah battery
1 -12ah batter
M12
3/8 extended reach rachet
3/8 stubby impact
Hackzall
Two heated hoodies
2 - 1.5 ah
2-2 ah
1 -4ah

I just recently started getting the m12 tools because I like the hoodies.
All of these tools get beat everyday and very seldom have issues. The grinder is what I have had the most issues with due to bearings.

I used to use Makita, but battery life sucked. I could buy a new drill with battery and charger cheaper than buying a battery. I then went with porter cable. Had the whole gambit of tools, son gave me another set of portercable, exact set I already had. Several batteries and never one that would hold a charge. Those where the old nicad. Bought a 20vmax dewalt several years ago. Works every time and I have ran the 1/4in impact driver all day driving screws in roofing and not had to swap the battery. I have the small 1/2in impact and it will take off the lugs on my truck. My son is all Milwalkee, he went thru the same culling of cheap tools I went thru. I have used his tools and think the milwalkee may be a little stronger than the dewalt, but they also weight a ton more. That milwalkee hammer drill weights a ton but will hammer thru concrete like its butter.

Received the tools this week. Batteries were already charged.

Picked up the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2” impact adaptors for the impact. Will use both the impact and drill to redo the transom on my duck boat tomorrow.

I've been happy with my newer 18v Makita hd impact and 1/4 impact driver. I was given a 12v 3/8 ratchet for Father's day, it's handy too. That impact has three settings and is an absolute beast. I would bet the biggest issues are battery longevity and cost. I prefer to get the 5ah batteries and know it's enough.

Shea

I lost my Dewalt 18v when I moved over 2 years ago and I replaced them with Milwaukee M18. I've been pleased and like my M18 gear better than my previous Dewalt.

I have all dewalt 20V at home ! Use Milwaukee m12 At Work HD mechanic got the M12 Drill both 1/2 and 3/8 impacts ratchet and the straight and 90 degee die grinders Like all of them! Had I not started with dewalt at home It would be milwaukee 18 all the way as they have Way more variety ! However a bit more pricey !

I couldn’t believe how tight those axle nuts were.... I just did all 4 of my bearings in my VW. Wish I had a good impact!!! Then putting them back on..... 150ft/lbs PLUS 180°?! Ya right!!!! I’d have needed a 10’ pipe to get it that tight!
A friend has a 1/2” Dewalt impact from Napa, not the box store version and it seems to make him happy. (Changing grader blade edges on the road)
If you need a 10’ pipe to hit 150 ft lbs you need to hit the gym. Lol

I have the Dewalt 20volt system too. I really like the circular saw and sawzall, very convenient when one is used to running cords for those small jobs. I also have the hedge trimmers. The 6AH battery is worth the cost when using the circular saw, hedge trimmers, sawzall, etc.

Looks like Dewalt has a 12Ah battery now, maybe they always did, I don’t know.
Always going to be trade offs between Ah and size / weight. Some of this has been done with more efficient cells, but at some point, the batteries become more bulkier and heavier. The ability for the DeWalt Flexvolt batteries to run different voltage tools is a nice feature for guys who run different types of tools.

For the outdoor power equipment, they have battery backpacks available, which feed the tools by a cord, so we are going around to that again! Different solutions for different needs. I always want to have more than one battery to swap out, and always want to have the most Ah, up to a point.
Screen shot 2020-10-12 at 1.11.51 PM.png

Philbert

Always going to be trade offs between Ah and size / weight. Some of this has been done with more efficient cells, but at some point, the batteries become more bulkier and heavier. The ability for the DeWalt Flexvolt batteries to run different voltage tools is a nice feature for guys who run different types of tools.

For the outdoor power equipment, they have battery backpacks available, which feed the tools by a cord, so we are going around to that again! Different solutions for different needs. I always want to have more than one battery to swap out, and always want to have the most Ah, up to a point.
View attachment 860908

Philbert
Looks like they had an 8Ah too. I’m happy with the 6, and didn’t look up any weights either but looks like the 8 is a dedicated 20volt battery pack. I can’t see having the extra weight on a circular saw effecting anything. They charge quick enough for me that I would probably never upgrade, but for professionals, I could see the benefits of time vs weight.

I can’t see having the extra weight on a circular saw effecting anything
For some tools, added mass is a benefit. For others, light weight and dexterity is better.
Several years back I set up a worker test of several different pneumatic riveters from different vendors, to pick 'the best' one. Guys who primarily riveted in a downward position chose the heavier ones. Guys who riveted overhead chose the lightest one. Makes sense in hindsight, but not something we had considered beforehand.

Philbert

Back