Cordwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A standar pickup box is 8 feet long, is a little more than 5 feet wide and about 2 feet high. So that being said if the wood is stacked in the box level with the top it would yield a bit more than 1/2 a full cord. if you have side rails it might be possible to stack nearly a full cord if it was piled 3 1/2 feet high. Total of 128 cubic feet.

A 15 yard dump box on a dump truck would be about 450 cubic feet, so should be 3.5 full cords if stacked level. I have seen a dump of wood sold as anywhere from 3-5 full cords and even 6 as full logs.

The smaller the wood pieces are the bigger the total air space so the less actual wood you get. There is less wood in a split load dumped into a box than a load of logs stacked into the same box.

If you want to do the pallet test, I would recomend making a pile 4 feet high and 8 feet long with 2 pallets, rather than 8 feet high and 4 feet long. (safer and you don't need a ladder)

TW

A face cord (or rick)is 4ft by 8ft by 16" or 42.56 cubic foot. Or in other words 32 square foot of face times 1.33 foot of depth (16" of depth)
You might make such a stack, then try to get it in your pickup and judge from there.

Boy if you are selling firewood, a dumptruck is the way to go. Its that handling it twice that takes the fun out of it.

I just wanted to get this back up where Gypo may see it and respond. I don`t remember what the numbers were but he posted some volumes for "bin measure" firewood quantities that average out to cord quantities that make the average customer happy. This saves handling the wood atleast once to determine quantity and more often than not it is the handling that makes firewood profit infeasible. Russ

A full size pickup bed is 4' in between the wheelwells and 8' long. If you stack it 2' high in between the wheelwells you have half a cord.

Hi Russ, thanks for asking. A cord of 16", loose thrown split wood, (known as "bin volume") will ocupy 180 cubic feet, level full, while 12" wood ocupies 162 cu/ft. This forumula is accurate to 5%+- .
To ensure a full measure to the customer, it may be an idea to buck to 15", this way if the customer insists on 3 face to a cord, he wont be disapointed and will get an extra measure as well.
This I found was the most accurate and fastest way of producing fuelwood. It is hard to cut wood 16" by eye and there may be pieces that vary in length. In these parts we call it summer wood, some are 13", some are 18".
Its fun and profitable to focus on the wood business full time if you have the customer base , the wood and the equip.
John

Nice Load of Logs

Nice load of logs, hope you didn't sell it for fire wood.

TW

Since we are on the subject of wood, I thought I would post another picture of my logs that went out today. It was 95% Black Cherry, 5% Sugar Maple. 15% slicer veneer to Ohio and 35% rotary veneer to Tiawan, with the balance being sawlogs to a local mill. The approx. 8000 board feet took me about 30 hrs. to fall, skid and buck for grade and yeild. My log trucker Jay, is the best dang log trucker I have known.
Anyway, I used just shy of 2 gallons of 32:1 hightest fuel in an 066KD and 385KD, so I dont even need to say that the trees pissed their roots when they saw me coming.
John

Originally posted by timberwolf
[
The smaller the wood pieces are the bigger the total air space so the less actual wood you get. There is less wood in a split load dumped into a box than a load of logs stacked into the same box.

Now that is a way to start a real cat fight over on
firewood.com
firewoodcenter.com

It is true that you get more firewood (about 10% more) by buying a cord in the round rather than split. Just try getting those people to believe it. I bet a buddy that he couldn't stack the split wood back into the same space the rounds came out of. The offer was to load one rick in his PU in the round and then split it and try to restack. He refused to even consider it.

Harry K

Hi Harry, its amazing how many will argue that point. A 16 inch dia. block will always occupy less space than when it is split. Its just a simple irrefutable fact of nature. The only time it wont is when a crooked woodtick pumps air into a stack of wood by deliberately creating gaps in the stacked pieces,which means the customer will always be a few fries short of a Happy Meal.
I noticed you are from S.E Wash., I was in Moses Lake recently and thought it was an outdoor paradise.
John

Firewood seems to go by the heaping standard pickup load around, rather than by whether its a face cord, or half cord or whatever.

Its going from $35 to $45 a load, mixed hardwood, no willow, hackberry, soft maple, or cottonwood.

I deliver my cordwood using my 5 ton LN9000 dump truck it holds a little bit more than 2 1/2 cord heaping full,I just load it with my loader,I sell it for 175.00 a cord dry and split..

Later Rob..

Back