corn got blown down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckwood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We're having lots of thunderstorms here in Eastern TN, and I've got a big patch of corn coming up, seedlings are around a foot to 18 in high. Last storm has a lot of 'em tilting at 45 degrees. In the past, I'd sometimes go through it all with a hoe, piling up dirt around each plant and getting them vertical again. It's a lot of work and I don't have much time. If I leave 'em alone, will they gradually go back to vertical on their own, plants tend to orient themselves to get the best sunlight. Or am I facing another chore?

they should straighten up as long as no roots are showing. i try to cultivate mine before it gets to tall but its been to wet here. some of mine was a little tilted after some heavy rain last nite.

Best to leave them alone, they should straighten up on their own.

I'd tend to agree, as long as the roots aren't showing, let them be.

When I've had late season blow downs in a small patch of 3-4 rows, I've done something similar to a "Florida Weave" -- drive in some T-posts and run baling twine between the to provide support to the plants. Clearly not practical for a anything more then a small home garden...but it might save someone's patch after a July t-storm:

florida+weave.jpg

I do use the weave for all my maters, peppers, and eggplants now.

Back