Corporate Sponsorship in Education

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How many of your companies help to underwrite arboricultural education at your favorite college, university or trade school? A recent survey I received asked if our program had corporte sponsorship. I had not even thought of this until I heard a talk by a student from Texas A&M about corporate sponsorship of their SSA Chapter. In return for an ad on the club webpage and exposure of their services and products to the students, the club raised more money than my entire program budget.

Due to the budget crunches facing higher ed these days, particularly specialty programs such as ours that require a great deal of equipment and benefit from interaction at trade shows and seminars, this may be an option in the future.

Politicians vote based on the constituency that vote for them. Since this group is mostly retiredk, there is little pressure to put money into things that benefit our youth, who vote less often.

I realize that there is always the chance of an education being skewed by the power of the checkbook, but is this any different from the research dollars that go into the big ag schools? I have received donations of equipment over the years from Weaver Leather company and Winkler's Tree Service in the Chicago area. I have also had great support from companies across the nation for internship opportunities and scholarships based on these internships.

My location, while it attracts students with the opportunity to hunt, fish and enjoy the outdoors within a few miles of campus, ( and a great teachng staff) is just remote enough to limit the amount of interaction I can obtain from active tree care companies.

The largest block of financial support for travel and sharing of knowledge I have been offered to date has come from Zelenograd, Russia. If you would like to get in on the support of an internationally recognized program, with either funding or equipment (climbing, lab or any other aid for a full spectrum techical forestry program) just drop me an email at [email protected]. or call 701-228-5434.

Thanks for your attention and responses.

Bob Underwood, Associate Professor of Urban Forestry and local tree man.

Latest posts

Back