Cottonwood again!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Will be a woking on about 80-100 cords of cottonwood oner the next few weeks, they are now on the ground thanks to a BIG track hoe. 3 of us cut about 15 cords out on Sat am. Avg DBH is 4+ feet. There are a couple big one too! I would like to get a pic on here but damn if I can get it off my phone and transfered around on to here. HELP

That's awesome, if I had a blaze king I would be getting a bunch of that stuff. What do you burn it in??

I burn it is a couple Blaze King, pre epa stoves and a home made boiler. The lot of it is for sale though, my buddy sells about 300 cords a year of pine and cottonwood. We hve to get this out before spring as it is laying where a new pivot is coming through. I will get to take the 090 out for some excercise pretty soon.

Stihl, when I take pics with my phone, I either email them to myself and get them off my email, or pull out the SD card and plug it into the computer directly. Some "Smart" phones are a total PITA to just plug in and read em.

If neither option works for you, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number, you can text em to me and I'll get em posted for you. Always like seeing the big stuff, even if it's "just" cottonwood.

i hauled some split and seasoned cottonwood once.
Most of it blew out of the truck on the way home!..........................:hmm3grin2orange:

no kidding

Around here you cant give Cottonwood away, it has about the lowest btu rating you can get...too many hardwoods to choose from.:greenchainsaw:

i hauled some split and seasoned cottonwood once.
Most of it blew out of the truck on the way home!..........................:hmm3grin2orange:

How About Pallets?

Will be a working on about 80-100 cords of cottonwood oner the next few weeks, they are now on the ground thanks to a BIG track hoe. 3 of us cut about 15 cords out on Sat am. Avg DBH is 4+ feet. There are a couple big one too! I would like to get a pic on here but damn if I can get it off my phone and transfered around on to here. HELP
Cottonwood makes fabulous pallets. Have you thought of contacting a logger who could help you haul it away on a flatbed, bucked to 8 to 10' lengths? Around here the mills offer get just under 20 cents a board foot for logs from trees 13" to 44" dia. For example, a 9' long, 25" dia. log would bring in around $50 using the Doyle scale.

It would take a truck picker to load the logs onto the flatbed, but most loggers usually have one. Based on your description, you might have several flatbed loads of logs, 30 logs to the load at 8' to 9' lengths. But, once you buck that to 18" shorts, you can't sell it for pallet makers.

Hit the pile again... 4 of us put 20 cords of 16 inchers on the ground. That brings the appx total so far to 35 on the ground and a mountain of wood just laying there ready to haul off. Finally getting into the big stuff where we can make some real fast cords! Late in the day I fired the 090 up and let the ol girl stretch her legs!! There is nothing like the sound of 137ccs of well tuned saw running under a hard load! It is hard to believe how good that ol saw cuts, it is about twice as fast in the cut as my 660. I was working on a log that is right at 48 inches as the bar just makes it through, I tell you what, it does not take many to make a cord!! Steve I could send you a pic again if you would like to post it!

Go right ahead, if you need my number again, PM me.

Are you running 3/8 or .404 on the 660? I've read that the .404 binds a lot less in fibrey wood like cottonwood. I used my P-60 w/.404 on a few cuts on the one I did last fall, and it seemed to work a little better. Far from a scientific test, though.

I am running full comp 3/8 lgx 72 on the 660 and full comp .404 lgx on the 090. I have no problems pulling the full comp chain on either saw. I think that there is something to the .404 theory, as the 090 just about falls through the cut where as the 660 on the big wood I have to work the saw a lot to get it through, it acts like the chain is getting dull but is still sharp, must be binding in the wet cottonwood. I will see about a vidio of the ol 090 next weekend!!

Outfit in Jordan MN will take all the cottonwood you can send. They make lath with it for surveyors/construction. Run more than a few over with the scraper in the day.

It is so dry around here that we can cut and split green growing cottonwood and have it stove ready in 3-4 weeks with it sitting on the summer sun! It takes a bit longer as the temps go down, but it will actully dry in the winter pretty well as long as there is not any snow on it.

Back