Cottonwood for lunber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marklambert61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a large Cottonwood log anyone ever tried to saw cottonwood for lumber?

I was thinking of using for 2"deck boards for my trailer.

Mark

Eaten saw dust loving my mill...

I have Mark.Don't thing it would be good for a trailer bed that's open.It rots real easy when in weather. Mark

I've milled lots of hybrid poplar, which it mostly cottonwood. The lumber is very similar. It mills very easy, and the stuff I sliced only 2 months ago (mostly 5/4) is already dry and ready to take off the stickers. It is pretty soft wood though, and stringy and sometimes fuzzy after running through the planer. I've used it for drawer sides just like I would use regular tulip poplar.

Out here in the the PNW, straight black cottonwood logs sell as peelers, from which is made the center of plywood, I'm told. There is also a pulp market, if the mills are buying, which is rare. Typically, it may cost more to truck c'wood than it pays, but, as we are getting paid to do the job, and otherwise have to charge for wood removal, it helps the bottom line.

I've milled lots of hybrid poplar, which it mostly cottonwood. The lumber is very similar. It mills very easy, and the stuff I sliced only 2 months ago (mostly 5/4) is already dry and ready to take off the stickers. It is pretty soft wood though, and stringy and sometimes fuzzy after running through the planer. I've used it for drawer sides just like I would use regular tulip poplar.

I have found the same thing.It is excellent for glueing up also.I run it through my sander with 120 grit which takes off the fuzzys first though.It makes nice light guitar bodys.Alot of Jackson guitars have poplar bodies.Mark

Latest posts

Back