Could a solo persons belt bleed-kit save lives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://medcoe.army.mil/borden
From the menu there, you can select “ textbooks of military medicine “ and there’s tons of heavy reading. Fascinating stuff. Constantly changing and evolving. As far as I know the old ABCs are still legit, and pressure will stop a lot of bleeding, it’s just a matter of how much pressure and how it’s applied.

A word on Quik Clot, I think the formula been changed since my days, and there’s much better and safer products now than what the military gave out in the mid 2000s. We used to get this granular stuff, looked like sand. Pour it right on the wound and use some pressure to press it in place. This stuff got hot, like caused burns and a little necrosis. Some jarhead came in my hospital because he thought it’d be funny to put it on a little shaving cut on his neck. He was hurtin for certain and he’s probably still a little discolored there. Never saw anyone get it in their eyes and for that, I’m grateful, but we were told to mind the wind direction when opening and using it. Hopefully nobody has that old stuff anymore. There’s still granular stuff, but it’s not all the same. I think the gauze impregnated with the stuff sounds ideal for what we might expect from a chainsaw injury and lacerations.

CAT tourniquets are very cool. They should be clean, but don’t need to be sterile, so open it up and practice applying it a little. You should be able to put it on any of your limbs with either one of your hands. Practice with your non-dominant hand. I generally work in cities and the suburbs, so if I’m putting a tourniquet on myself, my next stop is the emergency room and I’ll let a doctor decide when to take it off. Some of y’all might be hours away from some emergency medical folks, so use your best judgment. The line between “ bleeding controlled “ and “ limb death” might be a bit broader than we once thought, but one should probably get a professional to clean and close the wound anyways.

If you cut your head, don’t put a tourniquet on your neck ;)

Y’all stay safe.

Look up chainsaw injuries primarily its left side of face and neck. That means quick klot gauze and compression and quick responce to e.r...
Then you have left side leg injuries, which means a t.q. and quick responce to the e.r...

Ive got a bag, i bring out of the back seat. That stays on the truck bed, tail gate or hood, when doing certain jobs or around more people. When cutting.

Check out stuck pig medical, he can take your unused Fsa\Hsa money. You may need to add quick klot gauze. Most dont need it. We do. But he carries the best t.q. on the market.

Extremities get a t.q. and torso joints, get packed and compression.
Thank you so much for this detailed reply. I do appreciate you time. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply back, I genuinely wasn't notified of the responses. I'll check myself more regularly now.

I have had a look at Stuck Pig Medical, thank you for sharing these with me. Why do you say its the best TQ on the market? Because it is presented as so or do you have experience with it? (Sorry if you have and that is too much to ask.)

I completely understand why you would have a kit nearby, on the truck etc. I guess I'm trying to understand how much precaution people might take when up in a tree for example. Are you that concerned that you take some form of aide with you just incase or is it just a 'nice to have' ...

Thank you again! Safe climbing!

Somewhere around here Is a small ankle kit that has a tourniquet,quick clot an Israeli bandage and a plastic valve for chest wounds(ie punctured lung) as well as a sealed pack of gloves(never touch other peoples red water).
Hi Camel2019,
Please accept my apologies for the delayed reply. I wasn't notified on responses so from now on I will check in myself. sorry.
I'll have a quick look for this ankle kit now. Nice idea, I would think this would be a decent/handy kit to have strapped on wouldn't it?
Note * Just had a look and can't find it. I'll keep looking.

Thank you again for your feedback.

we tree killers are usually more heavily muscled. yes i have a elastic rat TQ, becasue that is what i have when i was assembling it. back then teh consenus was nt out yet. it is still great for women/children and dogs. the medics coming back from afghanastan , have first hand experience with what works and what doesnt for tramatic injuries and what is self intuitive. most guys like the cat TQ . you have probably girthy thighs. how hard can you pull a elastic cord and stop blood flow and not break?

CAT5 tourniquet and an Israeli bandage are two items well worth having within reach. More comprehensive kit can be within a short walk (splint, ace bandage, lots of gauze, scissors, etc).

Find a combat medic for some good advice. I'm fortunate to have one as a friend and neighbor.
Thank you so much at ChillyB,
Apologies for the delayed reply. As above, I wasn't notified and didn't check in enough. My bad, sorry. :(
Definitely a good friend and neighbour to have. We all need one of those!
From my impression on people's thoughts including yours, whatever you do up a tree, needs to take less than a minute and then you're getting yourself out of there and to more substantial help! Most certainly want to/need to descend the tree at the earliest opportunity?
What comes first do you think? Descent, or bandage or perhaps it will just depend on the injury!
I hope you have never had to experience the need to decide!

Many Thanks for your time again, much, much appreciated.

Hi Camel2019,
Please accept my apologies for the delayed reply. I wasn't notified on responses so from now on I will check in myself. sorry.
I'll have a quick look for this ankle kit now. Nice idea, I would think this would be a decent/handy kit to have strapped on wouldn't it?
Note * Just had a look and can't find it. I'll keep looking.

Thank you again for your feedback.
I forget what company sells them but their up here in canada google ankle trauma kit

I always carried loop runners, figured they would make a good tourniquet in a pinch, but more than that, whether climbing srt or ddrt, I always made sure my lifeline was routed directly to the ground before making a cut, rather than snaked through the canopy, and my setup always allowed me to unclip my lanyard and bomb down one handed. My thinking was if God forbid I was bleeding out those precious seconds were best spent getting down rather than try and tourniquet myself in the tree. Admittedly, I rarely had great confidence in my crew to do much to help me in the tree since I rarely had another trained climber on the job. I was always an advocate of having 2 climbers on-site for emergency situations, but in the real world small companies rarely do.
This answers my question above! Thank you. The priority for most would to be get on down!
Thank you for sharing this.

Pretty sure forest service fire jumpers use one, and origin of the tampon was WW-1 Trauma bandage, but found these, maybe worth looking at? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bleedout+bandage+emergency&ia=web
Thank you Thenne1713 - This is helpful too. In this world, we develop some things that don't need developing just to keep ourselves busy. ;) Did not know that was the origin... haha, you learn something new every day!
Thank you for your time.

on my chaps.
Thank you so much for your reply. It's really good to learn what precautions people are taking and how concerned people are about having nearby aide should it be needed! (Hopefully not!) - I have to admit, I did have to Google what 'Chaps' are. (Confession!) ...

I kinda can’t help but laugh at most truck first aid kit the approved ones would be no help if anyone actually needed anything
Is this because not many truck kits contain much more than a few bandages, some plasters, scissors and a triangle bandage still? At least you'd have a first aid blanket? :) Or, are your certified kits better than ours?

In addition to tourniquets and quikclot make sure you carry smelling salts so you can bring your groundies back around, so they can stagger into the truck while you drive yourself to the hospital...
This made me smile! Sounds like a typical first aid scenario. I remember my mum being whisked off when I was 4 years old and having my face stitched up after a fall, she fell to the floor and had her own medical room whilst I got stitched up solo... Thanks mum! :)

For a major arterial bleed, the only hope is a hemostatic dressing. EG: https://www.celoxmedical.com/cx-product/celox-gauze/

You literally stuff it in the hole. Pack it in as tight as possible. Hurts like hell. But stops the bleeding and keeps the patient alive. More effective and less long-term damage than a tourniquet.
Interesting, thank you! A single piece life saving aide do you think? Sounds painful just reading it though. :(
Do you think people would worry about the long term damage of a tourniquet in these situations? Genuine question?

Thanks torch for your time in replying.

https://medcoe.army.mil/borden
From the menu there, you can select “ textbooks of military medicine “ and there’s tons of heavy reading. Fascinating stuff. Constantly changing and evolving. As far as I know the old ABCs are still legit, and pressure will stop a lot of bleeding, it’s just a matter of how much pressure and how it’s applied.

A word on Quik Clot, I think the formula been changed since my days, and there’s much better and safer products now than what the military gave out in the mid 2000s. We used to get this granular stuff, looked like sand. Pour it right on the wound and use some pressure to press it in place. This stuff got hot, like caused burns and a little necrosis. Some jarhead came in my hospital because he thought it’d be funny to put it on a little shaving cut on his neck. He was hurtin for certain and he’s probably still a little discolored there. Never saw anyone get it in their eyes and for that, I’m grateful, but we were told to mind the wind direction when opening and using it. Hopefully nobody has that old stuff anymore. There’s still granular stuff, but it’s not all the same. I think the gauze impregnated with the stuff sounds ideal for what we might expect from a chainsaw injury and lacerations.

CAT tourniquets are very cool. They should be clean, but don’t need to be sterile, so open it up and practice applying it a little. You should be able to put it on any of your limbs with either one of your hands. Practice with your non-dominant hand. I generally work in cities and the suburbs, so if I’m putting a tourniquet on myself, my next stop is the emergency room and I’ll let a doctor decide when to take it off. Some of y’all might be hours away from some emergency medical folks, so use your best judgment. The line between “ bleeding controlled “ and “ limb death” might be a bit broader than we once thought, but one should probably get a professional to clean and close the wound anyways.

If you cut your head, don’t put a tourniquet on your neck ;)

Y’all stay safe.
Great and detailed reply, thank you Bango Skank!
I don't know what anyone would have done without your sound head wound tip there! ;)
Interesting read and thank you for your service too!
I don't think we can carry Morphine in a kit either, which is a shame! More people might have one if they did! (Kidding!)
Like the idea of practicing the application of a tourniquet on yourself, I'm presuming you would if you were more at risk of needing it. I am fire service not medical and when we brought them in, we practiced on 'Annie', health and safety wouldn't allow for us to experience it 'for real' ... of course we did but not applying them to ourselves! I guess you become so complacent in having someone or somewhere nearby to help!

Thanks again! Have a good day!

A number of years ago at a Campus with many established and new hardwood trees I was cutting dead trees for my own profit. A staff member of the facility asked if I could meet him on a particular morning to guide him in some tree removal work. So at about 8:30 AM I drive to the determined spot and not see any one but could hear a chain saw idling. After a few minutes search discover the climber in a tree about 40 feet up hanging upside down with the saw running still attached to his belt. I quickly strapped on my spurs and made my way up to him. I unbuckled the saw turned him right side up and lowered him down to the ground then notified paramedics. My guess was that after discovering him in the precarious situation it took me ten minutes to get to him Apparently a limb he was cutting spun around and hit him in the head rendering him unconscious. Am pretty sure him being left that way for much longer would have ended his life. It appears that a climber injured severely in a tree with out a competent grounds person to give him aid the climber has few options. I have seen various Velcro type straps that could be a life saver. Some times just good duct tape but how much equipment would a climber on a routine day carry with him. Including myself many will say this is only going to take a half an hour be done soon. Thanks
Thank you for sharing this, I hope the guy was okay in the end, thanks to you it seems! :)
This highlights the lone working need, although ideally, you'd have a grounds team or at least a partner ... but this is not always the case.
This guy was knocked out so there isn't a great deal he could have done to help himself, except now, never work alone again. Seems he had a lucky escape too with no further injuries from the chain saw etc!
Duct tape - so many uses, everyone should carry a roll!

Thank you for your time in replying! Really appreciate it!

To the OP's question yes, I believe such a kit carried on you could save a life. As other's have stated earlier such kits 100 yds away in a truck or inaccessibly packed away won't do you much good when a bleed is severe enough that seconds matter. One thing that hasn't been covered in this thread yet is I suggest you can stop by any local firehouse and talk with any paramedic on shift. Bring the crew some cigars and pick their brain about it. They'll be happy to help cover the topic
Haha thank you! As a 10yr firefighter myself, this resonated. We were less fussy, a packed of biscuits were suffice! ;)
However, we are only immediate first aid training and rarely came across incidents like this! I went to a 85 year old with a hedge trimmer through her hand and I was more inspired by her determination and ability to laugh at the blades embedded in to her hand just because she was pleased to be surrounded by men in uniform. haha.... :)

However, you are right, I might see if I can look in to picking the brains or an USAR professional somewhere!

Thank you for your time in replying.

Statistically, more people will be killed by the tree (or falling from it) that by a chainsaw cut, so first aid / trauma considerations should go beyond bleeding. That said, a saw (axe, etc.) can create a fatal cut.

One of the groups that I have volunteered with requires each Sawyer to carry a 'Blood Stop Kit’ in a belt pouch. They include:
- a tourniquet;
- compression ('Israeli') bandage;
- EMT shears (to remove clothing);
- gauze pads;
- roll gauze;
- first aid / medical tape;
- elastic ('ACE') bandage (to hold things in place);
- mylar ('space') blanket for shock;
- nitrile gloves.

View attachment 972154
View attachment 972155

Choose components that you are comfortable using, and understand how to use what you have - not the time to be reading small letter instructions. I suggest keeping bandaids, and other minor, but necessary first aid stuff in a separate kit, so that this is clearly for emergency use.

If you get the opportunity, attend a 'STOP THE BLEED' class, which goes beyond typical Red Cross type first aid training, or a 'wilderness first aid' class, which assumes that you are a long way away from 911 type help.
www.stopthebleed.org

Philbert
Philbert, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and to provide some much helpful info. Your time is much appreciate.
Stopthebleed.org are fab and in some ways, have inspired this conversation! Definitely worth a look in to.
Two separate kits, this sounds like a general thought here too. Let's be honest, if you need a plaster, you'll 'man up' until you're down... if you need to access first aid up in a tree, it's probably a little more severe and urgent!
BUT, I have also summed up - the priority is to get on down the tree first, so having a kit on you and not in your truck, is probably going to be used still, whilst on the ground...
Still so much to think about.
Hope you have a great day!

Interesting, thank you! A single piece life saving aide do you think? Sounds painful just reading it though. :(
Do you think people would worry about the long term damage of a tourniquet in these situations? Genuine question?

This requires proper triage and training. For there to be long term damage, a person has to survive the initial traumatic injury.

Is this because not many truck kits contain much more than a few bandages, some plasters, scissors and a triangle bandage still? At least you'd have a first aid blanket? :) Or, are your certified kits better than ours?
Nooe ontario approved kits would be good enough for minor cuts and scrapes nothing that will save anyone if needed.

I wouldent limb or life what one would you choose.

Back