Couple Days Work for a Wood Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy G

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Small town wanted trees cleared to make room for other trees that had been planted. The town was going to haul all the wood to the dump and put a match to it. I talked to the person in charge and he said I could take all the wood if I supplied trucks and trailers to haul it. My father and I helped three town employees limb, buck the wood into smaller pieces, and load. I still have to go back and get the stumps.

331puuf.jpg

1z38chy.jpg

ebd65c.jpg

b4vime.jpg

4t0mr5.jpg

2nas775.jpg

15ecr2w.jpg

2rwn7r4.jpg

Last edited:
Typically, I am an oppurtunist. In the winter I hunt coyotes and cover a fair amount of ground. I keep a mental note of where there might be downed trees and then talk to landowners. They are usually happy to have the wood cleaned up and I am hapopy to take it.

People in the communities know I burn wood and think me to be crazy for having wood stacked on my driveway in town. When there are trees to be cut I usually get a call to clean them up.

I have pretty much cleaned up the country side and was looking into getting wood from the Cypress Hills, this would be about 70 miles one way. The only problem now is that the pine beetles have moved in and I am outside the transport area. I can still get Aspen and Poplar from the Hills but will really have to work to get the wood out. Some areas it is hard enough just to walk.

Rough guess based on the wood I now have piled and bucked I should be set for three years. I am always looking for more wood.

People in the communities know I burn wood and think me to be crazy for having wood stacked on my driveway in town.

I can always tell which motorists driving by my house are woodburners. They slow down to a crawl when they catch a glimpse of the pile of splits and rounds as nearly as high as a regulation-height basketball hoop.

One guy last week came to a near full stop as he rubbernecked by my pile. LOL!

If the pile gets too much bigger, the FedEx guys will start using it as a landmark in teaching the route to new drivers. "Yup.Head up the road, go up a steep hill. Then go about a half mile beyond that old farmhouse with the big ole pile of firewood out front."

Typically, I am an oppurtunist. In the winter I hunt coyotes and cover a fair amount of ground. I keep a mental note of where there might be downed trees and then talk to landowners. They are usually happy to have the wood cleaned up and I am hapopy to take it.

People in the communities know I burn wood and think me to be crazy for having wood stacked on my driveway in town. When there are trees to be cut I usually get a call to clean them up.

I have pretty much cleaned up the country side and was looking into getting wood from the Cypress Hills, this would be about 70 miles one way. The only problem now is that the pine beetles have moved in and I am outside the transport area. I can still get Aspen and Poplar from the Hills but will really have to work to get the wood out. Some areas it is hard enough just to walk.

Rough guess based on the wood I now have piled and bucked I should be set for three years. I am always looking for more wood.

I think I saw 4 trees left in one of your pics:)
If your good for 3 years, you could have a good start on planting some cottonwoods for your own firewood supply! In 10 years they would makes some good sticks for firewood I'd think.
Ian

I am in negotiations with the father in law to find a location on his property where I could start a wood lot. As you can tell from some of the pictures our land is either farmed or seeded to grass for livestock. The plan is to try and grow a combination of hybrid Poplar, Siberian Elm, some Manitoba Maple (Box Elder), and Ash. The provincial government also had a program that gave free trees for the establishment of wind breaks, I am also looking into this option.

Latest posts

Back